Tips and Tricks for Large or XLarge Instances

Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2022

Hi Everyone!

Wanted to start a fun topic focused around Enterprise sized instances.

What are some overall Atlassian best practices that because of working in Enterprise Environments you learned? Something that when working on smaller instances wasn't something that was part of the day to day or may have been overlooked, but in a large instance it is needed.

This could involve the way you query for things, the way you configured something (categories, schemes, blueprints etc) or any other number of functions. 

To give an example, for me I learned in Jira Data Center, it's always best to search for filters with "". This maybe true for Cloud too!

When I worked in a smaller environment it was easy just to look up a users name. But in the larger environment many users have filters with similar names and search only works for me with "" even if i know the user in many cases.

4 comments

Comment

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2022

Tell your users what apps are installed in your Jira instance!

Unless all your Jira users have access to the Manage Apps admin page (NOT A BEST PRACTICE), it’s important to:

• publish a list of installed apps[1], and
  • detail what business case/s each add-on solves

Users may not know about certain add-ons, and this will help stem the Marketplace app requests you get - or make it easier for you and other admins to say why you might not be purchasing an app with similar features.

[1] I heard Confluence is good for that. 😉

Like # people like this
marco.nowak March 29, 2022

We do not promote to search for additional apps. During the last years we recognized that every new app means another potential bug and problem cause.

Like Angie Hernandez likes this
John Dunkelberg March 23, 2022

Using Project and/or Project Category in your JQL was a big early one for us.  When people are looking at board filters for their teams it's easy for them to say something like "show me all open stories owned by assignee memberOf(groupname)" without realizing that means that Jira is going to look over the entire instance to find them.

Handling departing users is something that we've come to learn (and feel the pain on) more recently.  If you don't have good guidance on how to handle Jira and Confluence objects that are owned or controlled by departing users, you can have surprises where boards are broken on a Monday morning after their last day was Friday. :(  In the tech world's current "everyone move one company to the left" there's a lot more of that right now.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2022

Yes! I regularly (not THAT regularly) check Structure boards to ensure their owners are still active.

Like # people like this
John Dunkelberg March 23, 2022

Yeah, the structure automation suddenly returning no results since it runs as an inactive user is an unwelcome surprise.

The team that owns Jira in our org has put together scripting to find a list of filters/boards/structures/dashboards on demand for a given username.  I'll mention the idea of scanned for inactive users in general.

Like David Niro likes this
Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2022

Personnaly what I used to do is create a user dedicated to a department and give it the permission to share filters and dashboards. I would create everything and transfert the owneship to it. If the boards changed often, I would give the usename and password to the manager and have him/her make the changes. That way everything will be active if the manager left.

Sasha Solig March 23, 2022

Custom Field Configuration Schemes

From a performance perspective, though possibly not such an issue in Data Centre - we're (still) on Server - it is important to configure custom fields against projects which use that field. The latest version of Jira Server helpfully suggests this when you create a new custom field. This not only helps with performance but also other areas like limiting the number of fields available when performing a bulk update.

Like # people like this
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2022

this is also an issue in data center and cloud. always good to scope custom fields for performance!

marco.nowak March 29, 2022

Definetely important!

For us the best way how to maintain index related changes and app updates: we do such changes and app updates ones a month at a weekend. After that we restart the system and empty the plugin cache AND we create a new issue index. This solved so many problems he had before (server installation).

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2022

Watching/following this discussion for tips & tricks.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events