Introducing issue archiving: it's time for some Jira spring cleaning!

Alyssa Warren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2019

Hi Enterprise community,

Alyssa here from the Product Marketing team at Atlassian writing to you from Sydney. As we welcome spring down under, it's time to clean out our closets, cabinets, drawers...and our Jira instances too :) 

To help you keep your Jira instances clutter-free, we expanded Jira's archiving capabilities with issue archiving, available for the Data Center editions of Jira Software 8.4 & Jira Service Desk 4.4.

As you probably know, while it's easy to create thousands of projects and issues in Jira, this can lead to serious clutter down the road as issues pile up, making it harder for your teams to find what they need and worsening performance. To combat this problem, we built issue archiving, a simple but powerful way to remove out-of-date information from Jira for easier searching and faster performance. This feature is the newest addition to archiving, building upon project archiving released last year. 

Want to learn more about issue archiving? Check out our blog for all the details! Spoiler alert: in our performance testing we've seen much faster JQL searches and reduced index sizes.

Happy archiving!

Alyssa

P.S. If you're excited to try out issue archiving but waiting for the Enterprise release, you'll be glad to hear that Jira Software Server and Data Center 8.4 and Jira Service Desk Server and Data Center 4.4 are our last feature releases before the 8.5 and 4.5 Enterprise releases. We are explicitly not adding new features between 8.4 and the 8.5, instead taking the entire feature release cycle to focus on additional hardening and testing, so that the Enterprise release will be certified from the start. 

2 comments

Comment

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2019

This is a really great update!

Till now, due to large number of old issues (which may not be useful anymore) used to make Jira cluttered and performance also degraded.

When project archiving was introduced, it was a huge relief. But many times it is not possible to archive the entire project

Issue archiving will be really helpful when we do not want to archive the whole project.

Like # people like this
Alyssa Warren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2019

Glad to hear, @Deepanshu Natani ! Let us know how it goes as you get going with issue archiving.

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this
Alpesh Mandaliya November 16, 2019

Hi @Alyssa Warren This release is terrific and must needed.

We have started to use Jira Software recently and we are on a 'Free' tier since we are less than 10 people.

I looked through everywhere on Jira but I didn't find an option to archive project or issue. I must be missing something. Also, the screenshots I saw at many posts for Jira Software and it's issue listing are different than what we see.

Can you help me figure this out?

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2019

Hi @Alpesh Mandaliya ,

Issue archiving is available in Jira Software Data Center 8.4 and Jira Service Desk 4.4.

If you are using a different type of Jira (server/ cloud) then the feature wont be available.

Alpesh Mandaliya November 16, 2019

Thank you @Deepanshu Natani for helping me with this.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but will this 'Archive' option be made available to server or cloud edition, ever?

Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2019

@Alpesh Mandaliya : Archive option is not likely to be available in server version in near future. Reason: if you have such a huge Jira instance that you need issue archiving features, then Atlassian would like you to switch to data center version.

For cloud too it doesn't seem to be coming soon.

Like Alpesh Mandaliya likes this
Alpesh Mandaliya November 17, 2019

@Deepanshu Natani Got it. Thank you.

Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2021

A bit late to the party, thank you atlassian team for providing this much needed feature.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events