I'd love to hear insights on keeping your Confluence content organized?

Andrew van Ingen {ServiceRocket}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 1, 2023

Hi,

I have managed and maintained an intranet for 10 years and had quite some challenges with keeping spaces organized.

I am now in a market research role and was asked to find feedback for "Birdview", which is free.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223906/birdview-for-confluence-preview?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

Basically, it is a way to visualize Confluence structure in a 'mindmap' format, and organize content with drag and drop. I was wondering if you would see a use-case for this in your line of work.

Your thoughts are valuable because I believe it is helpful to hear from different people how this app could be used and what jobs need to be done.

Would you be willing to check it out and let me know your thoughts?

Best,

Andrew

4 comments

Comment

Malik Mangier March 1, 2023

Hi Andrew,

Indeed it's always been a challenge to keep space organized, and it will always be. Nothing to do with Confluence, but with organizing information in general. Think about libraries, your important papers at home or the internet,...Usually, the purpose of organizing information is to be able to find specific information when you'd need it. Perhaps organizing information is not the best strategy to find the information, that's how google has been successful, by using a different strategy with a search engine that actually works. If you'd have a 'google' app for Confluence that would make it easier to find information then that would be the best. 

Like # people like this
Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2023

Exactly!  Ashew organization in favor of massive hyperlinking.  

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 1, 2023

But do people always know WHAT is available to look/search for? Do we only want to encourage people to read what they are interested in?

Are there stakeholders in your company who like to have a view of the current 'status' of the available content?

Marketplace Partner
March 2, 2023

@Allan Maxwell would a visualisation of all the hyperlinks in a space be beneficial?

Graph.png

Like Allan Maxwell likes this
Markku Miettunen May 15, 2023

This looks nice )

Adam Nichols (DISH)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2023

Hi Andrew

This looks like a great app, unfortunately all our apps have to go through the Atlassian Bug Bounty and Security programs.  Is this on your roadmap?

Thanks

adam

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
March 2, 2023

Hi @Adam Nichols (DISH) . Thanks.
Yes, this is on the roadmap, but I don't have a date for this yet.

Can you tell me which aspect(s) of the app trigger your interest?
How does it benefit you or your colleagues?

Thanks,

Andrew

Adam Nichols (DISH)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2023

@Andrew van Ingen {ServiceRocket} Currently our Confluence strategy is a hot mess and there is no method to the madness.  Anything we can do to help clean this up and provide guidance would be great

Marketplace Partner
March 2, 2023

I recently saw the talk "Organizing a Confluence hoard, or, does this page spark joy?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrGCWTxeA94 It made a lot of sense.

Furthermore, I will let you know as soon as the app went through the Atlassian Bug Bounty and Security programs.

John Dunkelberg March 2, 2023

@Andrew van Ingen {ServiceRocket} any plans to bring this to Datacenter, or will this remain Cloud-only?

Marketplace Partner
March 6, 2023

@John Dunkelberg what use-case do you see for Birdview in your line of work? Which element(s) triggers your interest? What are your (colleagues) jobs to be done - where this would help?

I can definitely make the suggestion to my colleagues that there is interest for this on Datacenter. Let me get back to you on that.

John Dunkelberg March 8, 2023

@Andrew van Ingen {ServiceRocket} this looks like it could be a more compact and expressive way to visualize the content in a confluence space than the tree-and-leaf built in to the reorder pages.  This, combined the the drag-drop reorg ability advertised, could particularly help in keeping a space well organized, consolidate work as it organically grows in multiple places, and do a complete reorg if needed to rationalize the space.

Marketplace Partner
March 13, 2023

@John Dunkelberg thank you.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2023

Hi @Andrew van Ingen {ServiceRocket},

Maybe a bit late to the party, but I found your discussion interesting - at least. I am primarily in the corner of @Malik Mangier when it comes to trying to structuring content. When you give the same pieces of information to 10 people, asking them to organise them in a (tree) structure, you will most likely get at least 7 or 8 different tree structures. Every individual tends to look at information and relevance differently. And when you give them a tool that only allows a child to have one parent, they will very quickly feel this no longer matches the reality of newly composed families many of them consider to be the new normal.

I do like the visualisation aspect and the flexibility I noticed with the mind-map style visualisation you are experimenting with. But I am afraid that the visualisation won't fix the limitations the underlying structure inherently brings. It all boils down to what use case you are trying to solve (and probably what potential customers are willing to pay for that fix).  

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events