Custom Domains in Cloud - Development Update

91 comments

Comment

Nicolas Esteves March 1, 2023

Hi there,

Thank you for the update but... seriously; Force customers to use 2 sub levels is really a bad idea IMHO...

Please fix this.

Kind regards,

Like # people like this
flaccid March 1, 2023

@Luke Liu please provide an explanation on why users need to choose and use a 4LD. @Scion has a good point in that it should be as base as a 2LD i.e. `foo.bar`. Most users will want a 3LD i.e. `foo.bar.suf` but in any case it should be entirely arbitrary. If security is the reason, do the right thing and explain the rationale, I'll be more than happy to provide a response to that.

Like # people like this
Andy Beard March 2, 2023

We run a service desk for customers of multiple brands, so we already have a generic domain name we use for email that isn't being used. 

If it had to be something like support.example.com that would be okay, although not ideal, but I feel that forcing it to be longer makes it unnecessarily complicated for customers.

Like Woojin Kim likes this
Miguel Prudente March 2, 2023

If after all these years Atlassian makes it so we must use subdomain.subdomain.domain.tld then they'll lose customers.

Who thought that ignoring the scope of the ticket was a clever idea after almost 12 years?

Scope from ticket page:

"Today, you can sign up for certain Atlassian cloud products (Jira Software, Jira Service Management, and Confluence) under the subdomain of your choice. For example, if your company is Acme, you can host these products under acme.atlassian.net

The scope of "custom domains" on this ticket is to allow customers to use Atlassian cloud products on their own second-level domain, i.e. jira.acme.com or acme.com/confluence"

Like # people like this
hbunjes March 2, 2023

I‘m wondering how you came up with the idea of forcing multiple subdomains. Also in CLOUD-6999 this was never a topic. Please let the user decide. Also, please do not force jira.support.atlassian.net.acme.com or something similar 😉

For more than two years now we want to switch from server to cloud but this a breaking issue. We are always told it’s coming soon but it doesn’t. 

Like # people like this
Magnus Nordstrand March 3, 2023

We have a public Confluence site using only the 2nd level domain in its URL. I have no use of 2nd level subdomains or even more subdomain levels using keywords. Simply, just let me choose my own domain name structure.

Like # people like this
Robert Hanson March 3, 2023

The sub-domain keyword requirement is a really bad idea, and I'm not clear as to why you even need a sub-domain.  If I wanted Jira to be the website for my domain, ideally you would be allowed to set your Jira URL as "mysupportsite.com".  There would be no issue with DNS supporting this.

So please no sub-domain keyword.

Like # people like this
kissinger March 6, 2023

I would be fine if the double subdomain is OPTIONAL, in case of needed but please don't make it a requirement! 
I also don't see a benefit of it - while I just want to have my customers go to support.smart-power.net to find JIRA.

Please don't overcomplicate this THANKS! 

Like Michael Woffenden likes this
Ayan Mullick March 7, 2023

Which Confluence plan will this be available on?

Ayan Mullick March 7, 2023

Which Confluence plan will this be available on?

Like Woojin Kim likes this
GBE March 8, 2023

Same than others:

* let us keep the same DNS that we used on prem

* not forcing us to have a 2 level domain

This is important for us to ensure:

* we look professional,

* we can choose whatever token for our website, that makes business sense (including in languages that you might not anticipate)

* we can move to the cloud without asking all our existing users that their bookmarks are now obsolete, without changing the links in our products that redirect to the related documentation hosted on our existing confluence custom URL   

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2023

@Luke Liu Thank you for the update on the progress on this feature!

Will this only be available for Enterprise plans of Atlassian Cloud products?

Like # people like this
Luke Liu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2023

To the community and long-time watchers of CLOUD-6999, we are super grateful for your engagement and feedback. We know how important it is for you to have a clear and detailed understanding of the technical reasons behind these constraints and how they ensure the safety of your custom domains. We will come back with a separate update addressing this question as soon as possible. 

Like # people like this
Michael Woffenden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2023

Agreed, 1000 times!  ourchoice.ourdomain.com is what customers expect and need.

Like # people like this
Andrew Ruether March 20, 2023

We have an existing domain name for our Confluence service that we would like to retain so that many incoming links don't break.  Forcing the subdomain keyword is a problem.

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

Great @Luke Liu for the update. Looking forward to see this in action.

Michael Hansen March 21, 2023

In all honesty, it's completely ridiculous to force a 2nd subdomain. Give the OPTION, yes. But do not force people to use 2 levels down like "internal.support.acme.com".

Who in their right mind thought of this?

Like # people like this
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

+1 for not having 2 levels of domain - this is not common nor the requested!

Like Yorick Matthys likes this
Michael Ziegler March 22, 2023

keep it simple like others said !

• wiki.acme.com (Confluence)
  • support.acme.com (JSM)
  • jira.acme.com (JSW)

thats the solution 99% wants

why this takes so long

Like # people like this
Miguel Prudente March 23, 2023

@Luke Liu This issue does not have anything to do with Cloud security. It can only be because of some Cloud Architecture that was badly designed and then the effort to correct became too much for Atlassian.

What all of us want Atlassian to understand is that doing a workaround to enable 2 levels of domain is not what we asked for and won't work for us and will only lead the clients away from Atlassian and onto other Providers.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2023

I too would like to join the no additional subdomain crowd. If custom domains are possible, then we need custom.company.com.

Being able to add additional subdomains would be great though.

Like Yorick Matthys likes this
Nathan Getsinger March 28, 2023

I'll echo what everyone else is saying, just to make it clear that I do not support requiring picking a sub-domain from a pre-defined list and then requiring adding yet another in front of that. 

We want/need wiki.mydomain.com to point to confluence, service.mydomain.com to point to JSM, etc. or mydomain.com/jira to point to Jira, etc. 

Requiring an additional layer of subdomain isn't required by any other provider, and the lack of support for such a basic feature in the B2B world is making us second guess our decision to use Atlassian products. 

Like # people like this
Jacob Degeling March 30, 2023

Hi,

The requirement for a subdomain and a keyword is a little unusual. What security purposes are satisfied by this requirement? In my case, as it would be with most of the rest of the world, we don't have a .com domain, we are a school in Australia, so our domain could end up being somehting like something.support.school.nsw.edu.au, which is obviusly ridiculous. This is a little disappointing.

Jacob

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Aaron J Spetner April 2, 2023

One level subdomain is a must. 

Like # people like this
Yorick Matthys April 3, 2023

Hi Luke,

The scope of this ticket was very clear:

The scope of "custom domains" on this ticket is to allow customers to use Atlassian cloud products on their own second-level domain, i.e. jira.acme.com or acme.com/confluence

Screen 3 does not fulfil that requirement.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events