cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are using Jira Service Management to Improve Service on Campus

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2021

I am interested in learning how others are using Atlassian Service Desk to improve customer service on campus.  Specifically:

• What units are using it? 
  • What are they using it for?
  • Are the units collaborating in the product?
  • Are you using a knowledge base?
    • One or many?
  • How are you organizing the help center and service desks?

1 comment

Comment

Paul Stallworth
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2021

Hi Brant,

We are deploying it to many of our shared services units in Student Affairs.  Marketing & Communications and also Student Legal Services use it for request intake, and we are are building service desks for Human Resources and Business Services.  The last year has been slow in the implementation of HR and Business Services but we're looking to ramp that effort back up.  We purchased Power Database Fields and ProForma to support both these projects.  With Power Database Fields we're pulling position information out of an external database and showing it to HR agents so they don't have to look that information up.  ProForma we're using with both projects to extend the form capabilities in JSD, and also reduce the amount of custom fields we need to create. 

We (IT) have also partnered with the people in Business Services that handle procurement and we maintain a lightweight software inventory in a Jira project.  Each issue represents a piece of software and we have custom fields for various attributes we need to track.  We create sub-tasks for each annual renewal, attach quotes, and coordinate the process with between us and Business Services (who themselves have to deal with CU System Procurement Services). 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Thanks for the great information.  Are you currently on Server or Data Center?

Paul Stallworth
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

Currently on Server.  Data Center looks like the best migration, but I'm meeting with other Atlassian users on campus this week to see what their plans are for their instances and whether it makes sense to centralize some efforts.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

How many different instances do you have across campus?

Paul Stallworth
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

I don't really know as they are all managed independently.  We have one on-prem in Student Affairs IT, campus OIT has at least one on-prem, and I know of at least four other cloud instances for departments on campus.  There are also some in the federal/public partnership departments like the Lab for Atmospheric & Space Physics, but their funding sources and needs are so complicated I don't count those.

I think campus OIT is trying to determine if they want to offer Jira as a service to departments or not, which opens up a lot more for them than me thinking about my Jira and Confluence instances.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events