🔌 Plug Into Jira: 3 ways to make Jira Software and Confluence even better together

CSD-4995 Plug Into Jira Banner.png

Hi Atlassian Community!

Most of you might already know this fact: Jira Software and Confluence are better together. Today, we are highlighting 3 ways to help you get more out of the Confluence and Jira duo. We’ll be covering the benefits of utilizing the Project Pages tab in Jira, how to easily create Retrospectives after team sprints, and how Release Notes can help keep track of version releases and keep project stakeholders informed.

MDT_design_image.png

Give your teams context with Project Pages in Jira

Have you ever found yourself trying to trace the origin of a project requirement? Or feeling out of context about a project decision that was made? Project Pages will help make it easier to find the answers your team needs within Jira Software.

Bring Confluence directly into your Jira Software with the Project Pages tab - where you can create, edit, and organize team communication in one place. Confluence pages act as a single source of truth for project documentation, helping to provide additional context to sprint goals, user stories, and design specs, all in one place.

image-20230511-052255.pngKeep all your documentation in one place and give your teams context with Project Pages in Jira
Not sure where to begin with Project Pages? Get started by linking a Confluence page to an epic so teams can quickly find the right docs for the project. Confluence includes dozens of templates to give you a starting point (eg a product requirements template)

And while you’re using Project Pages, make sure you’re getting the most out of Confluence and Jira working together:

• Insert a Jira Roadmap macro in Confluence to showcase the big picture of what’s happening in a specific Jira project

• Utilize the Jira issues macro to ensure you’re bringing all the work you need to highlight into Confluence

• Use the Jira Charts macro to provide additional context on the work your team is prioritizing and how it’s going

Want to get started on using Confluence pages? Learn more about how to enable it here.

Increase visibility with Release Notes in Jira

Executing a release is a collaborative effort that requires alignment across multiple teams, but it can be challenging for teams to stay up to date. Release notes are essential for keeping stakeholders informed about the latest product updates. The Confluence integration in Jira enables teams to create release notes with the click of a button to capture and document all of the work going into a specific release.

Made a change to the release? No problem - changes to the release will be automatically synced to the release note to keep your teams updated in Confluence. You no longer need to take time out of your day to manually maintain release updates. Learn more about how to easily create release notes here.

image-20230515-002913.png

Create release notes to share release updates in Confluence directly from Jira

Create Retrospectives from Jira

Retrospectives are a vital part of the agile development process, allowing teams to reflect on their work, identify areas for improvement, and determine action items for future iterations.

If you have Confluence and Jira, you’ll be able to prepare a Confluence retrospective page using our Retrospective Template, when you complete a sprint in Jira. Simply check the “Create a retrospective page for this sprint“ box and a retro page will be created for the sprint!

The Retrospectives are automatically linked to each sprint’s sprint burndown chart under the Reports page, making it easier to view insights from the sprint when your team is ready to run the retrospective.

image-20230516-230516.png

Automatically create a Retro page in Confluence after each sprint

Using Confluence and Jira Software together offers a powerful solution for development teams looking to enhance collaboration, streamline workflows, and improve overall project management. By leveraging features like Project Pages, Retrospectives, and Release Notes in Jira, your team can unlock simple ways to make your everyday work more efficient.

Make the most of your Atlassian tools by integrating Confluence and Jira today! Don’t forget to follow our Plug into Jira Series to learn how to unlock new features and upgrade your user experience with Jira Software integrations.

What’s your favorite way of using Confluence with Jira? Comment below and let us know!

59 comments

Annie Lu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2023

When you no longer have to deal with this because release notes in Jira are automatically synced 🤪

If-you-can-release-the-notes-That39d-be-great-meme-45083.jpg

Like # people like this
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

Good

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2023

🤩 Loving the Jira and Confluence integration which I'm using on a daily basis. Also, a lot of our clients love this feature.
It was really cool when Atlassian announced creating release notes directly from Jira, but sadly most of the teams I'm working with haven't yet started tracking release versions so I couldn't see this 'in action' just yet.

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

Thanks for Sharing 

Like # people like this
Sushant Verma
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Thank you for sharing this!

Like # people like this
Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 25, 2023

🙌

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2023

@Annie Lu Thank you for sharing this article! Jira Software and Confluence are always amazing and better together

Like # people like this
Hamza Khan May 26, 2023

Thank you for sharing!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Nice use of the Confluence integration! Great article!

Like # people like this
Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Thanks for the post! 
I strongly agree that JIra and Confluence are better together!

I really like to keep Information in Jira to a minimum, and use Confluence as the main 'container for information'. 

Any change starts in Jira with a Story. But I spend so many hours in Confluence. Documenting is a way of structuring my own thoughts around business requirements. And stakeholders can jump in and provide additional input and feedback.

If a Story is for a new feature, I create a new Confluence page and start jotting down the context, requirement, process, solution design. And if a Story is about changing or enhancing a feature, I link the existing page to the Story and adjust the documentation on the existing page. 

Nobody looks a Story anymore after it is Done. But Confluence pages are here to stay. And you can build up your documentation and make future troubleshooting and future development a lot easier! 

Like # people like this
Robert Klohr May 26, 2023

Looking forward to further integrations between Jira and Confluence to help with the never-ending battle to document our code.

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

Hi @Annie Lu 

Thanx for the article! However on my instance, when I try to create a release notes, the preview doesn't work. Can't see e.g. the issues like you are showing on your screenshot. Weird, right?

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2023

Still working in Data Center but I've seen Project Pages and Release Notes in my Cloud eval instance.  Very cool ~ can't wait to implement at the enterprise level.

Like # people like this
Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2023

Thank you for Sharing.

Like # people like this
Bryan Guffey May 28, 2023

So ready to get my org to Cloud so we can take this leap forward!

Like # people like this
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

@Annie Lu Thank you for sharing us the detailed information.

Like # people like this
Dan_Tombs May 30, 2023

It is always great to see the improvements being made between the two applications. Gone are the days that we have to tell people to do things in a slightly more manual way. I think being able to auto sync release notes and retros will make documentation far easier and accurate.

Like # people like this
Abhay Gupta
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2023

Thank you for sharing. I have tried project pages and retrospectives before, what a way to use Jira & Confluence together.

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

Handy information and seamless plug-in.

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

I especially like the possibility to create release notes from Jira.

Like # people like this
Piyush A (STR)
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2023

Great article and I'm 'saving' it !!

Like # people like this
Hemant Khot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2023

Thank you for Sharing.

Like Annie Lu likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2023

I've been meaning to figure out automated release notes foreeeever, so this is amazing! Can't wait to give this a try. 

Like Annie Lu likes this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2023

I love this release notes feature! I just manually wrote release notes for the release I am currently on right now and then saw this while browsing the community! So wonderful! Can't wait to try this out! Thank you so much! 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 2, 2023

Thank you for these tips, especially the release note creation :)

Like Amanda Barber likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events