Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I debug BitBucket pipelines that use `pipe` steps?

Jim Jarrett June 11, 2020

I read over https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/debug-your-pipelines-locally-with-docker-838273569.html on how to set up docker to debug your bitbucket-pipeline.yml files.

Basically that sets up an environment the same as the one the pipeline file will run in, and lets you manually invoke commands, one at a time, to see if they work, then edit your bitbucket-pipeline file.

I'm having trouble with steps that use other pipes, like the 

- pipe: atlassian/aws-lambda-deploy:0.5.3

pipes to deploy a lambda to Amazon AWS.

How can I debug running that step locally to see what's going on? Is there a way in a docker container I can quickly change the pipeline file and make sure I have the right values for the pipe variables?

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2020

Hi @Jim Jarrett 

The code for atlassian/aws-lambda-deploy pipe can be found here. To debug it locally you need to build the docker image locally and run it. 

Steps for running the pipe locally:

1. git clone git@bitbucket.org:atlassian/aws-lambda-deploy.git
  2. cd aws-lambda-deploy/
  3. docker build -t atlassian/aws-lambda-deploy:0.5.3 .
  4. docker run -it -e AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID=<AWS_KEY> --volume=/Users/luke/src/localDebugRepo:/localDebugRepo --workdir="/localDebugRepo" --memory=4g --memory-swap=4g --memory-swappiness=0 atlassian/aws-lambda-deploy:0.5.3

Let me know if this helps get you started!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events