It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What is an instance in JIRa stands for? Every single user or a project with n number of users?

What is an instance in JIRa stands for? Every single user or a project with n number of users?

1 answer

1 vote

We usually use the word "instance" to talk about a single Jira installation.

Imagine I download Jira.  I take the installation files and copy them to three computers and run them.  At the end of the installation, I have three separate "instances" of Jira.  Three separate urls that they run on and isolated data-sets.

Now imagine that I convert them to a Data Centre installation.  Each instance becomes a node in the DC.  I now only have one "instance" because there's only one url and one collection of projects, users, etc.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked in Data Center

AMA: How to plan ahead for Data Center - Expert advice from an Atlassian panel

This AMA is now closed Hi! I'm Jacob Shepard a Product Marketing Manager on Atlassian’s Enterprise Team. We know that moving to Data Center is no small task. To do so effectively demands extensive ...

8,706 views 47 36
View question

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you