cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup failed with a backup database

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2021

Dear all,

I have a Data Center instance hosted in Azure on which I have a backup SQL server database.

Then I install a fresh local copy of Jira DataCenter 8.15 on my local machine using the Windows installer.

During installation it ask me to ceate a new SQl Server database ( I named it Test-Db). good all goes fine until the end. Then I stop my instance

Then I restore my previous backup on my local SQL server into an other database named jira-db.
Then I open the dbconfig.xml file and change the DB name to be jira-db
Server ID are different in that backup Db.

Then I restart my Jia instance, and follow instaruction as creating new trial licence as Server ID is different.
Then installer next step prompt me to define an Admin account ( even if I have already admin account in my Jira-Db)
Then at the time of saving, it says that it cannot add user because directory is in read only.

"No error in log file, and I log in to SQL server db with same user as in initial stage

In fact when the instance started, it does not take in account, information stored in different config files, it start to ask again hostname even if it has it and all other remaining.

Any idea why I get that error ?

regards

ekYGli4qXp.pngmsedge_eQE65ncsoz.png

2 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Dylan Rathbone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2021

Hi @serge calderara 

If Active Directories, under User Management > User Directories, had been configured on the Azure instance from which the DB backup was made, then you may be hitting an issue as described in this article. The article includes an explanation and workaround.

Can you also confirm whether or not you have a support contract with Atlassian? This allows us to appropriately field your issue going forward.

Regards.

0 votes
Dylan Rathbone
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2021

Hi,

It sounds like you are trying to provision a Jira instance with an existing DB. Please see the doc below on utilising an exiting DB for a Jira deployment:

Running Jira on an Azure cluster

particularly this section:

Running Jira on an Azure cluster _ Atlassian Support _ Atlassian Documentation 2021-03-09 09-14-09.png

As described in the document, for existing DB's you need to use the Azure CLI.

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

hello @Dylan Rathbone ,

What I simply trying to do is to installl a test jira instance locally to my own PC.

For that I have a install a DataCenter version of Jira single node( equal to server) as we cannot have anymore server trial version

Then I have a local SQL server where I have an existing DB backup I need jira to point to.

So even if I provide the proper path to the db, Jira setup still asking me for Admin user to be added and get read only message I mentioned above

Just for your information, I have made the same test with my existing azure db backup which contains data. :

I simply open configdb.xml of my local jira and point it to new db

Even that it is still asking to provide an admin account to be created and cannot create it due to read only error mention

*Once again, I simply would like to run a single local Jira server instance connected to my existing prod db backup, is that simple thing not possible ?*

regards

Dylan Rathbone
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2021

Hi @serge calderara

The "read only" error may suggest that the permissions assigned to your local Jira home and Jira install directories are not correct. As a result these cannot be read by the Jira user on start which may explain your problem. Please see this knowledge based article on how to fix directory permissions for Jira. Another thing to confirm is if your Jira home directory is correctly configured

Regards.

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2021

Hi @Dylan Rathbone ,

For installing Jira DataCenter I have used the Windows Installer and I am administrator of my Laptop.

I have used default setting for installing Jira and jira home folder is properly create under :

C:\Users\<myuser profile>\Atlassian

I have even run from windows command prompt and start config.bat in order to verify 

So I do not know what I can do more.

Please not that my error message is not related to "Cannot create Jira home directory" 

Dylan Rathbone
Atlassian Team
March 14, 2021

Hi @serge calderara

I'm going to raise this with our official product support team to assist in root causing the issue you're having.

We should have more information for you shortly.

Appreciate your patience on this.

Regards.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events