Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for examples on traffic shapping

Chelo Moreira April 27, 2021

We are running a 4 node Jira DC, and we would like to re-direct all REST traffic to a specific server. We use Apache as a load balancer. We have tried using "RewriteEngine" but I keep getting 401, it works when we try rest calls that don't required login.

Does anyone have any real world example of how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chelo Moreira October 21, 2021

After a long time researching and trying, I was able to re-route the REST traffic as per our standards.

This is what we did:

• For 2-3 months, monitored the access logs for all different agents that accessed Jira and took note of them.
  • We put the following on our apache config file:

traffic shapping.PNG

This is not the best solution but it does the job.
Hope this can help other people too.

0 votes
Jennifer Hall October 12, 2021

No answer but have the same scenario and also looking to see if this has ever been succesfully done.  I would hope someone has successfully done this with Apache given it's a Load Balancer called out in Atlassian documentation. 

0 votes
Maciej Swinarski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2021

Hi, 

If the reason for such approach is to make sure rest traffic does not affect other users (UI) operations, I would suggest trying another approach and use rate limiting (for rest): https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/improving-instance-stability-with-rate-limiting-983794911.html

If the rest traffic is not read-only each operation will still affect all other nodes (and user actions on those nodes) so the separation will not be really effective. 

mac

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

This is a question for your load-balancer software, not really an Atlassian thing - all they have on it is https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/traffic-distribution-with-atlassian-data-center-895912660.html

I've successfully followed the instructions in there, but it wasn't an F5 as you suggest you're using.

Hi, yes but I was wondering if anyone has successfully done it with Apache. 

We are not using F5 firewalls, we use linux servers with apache 2.4 installed  in them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2021

Ah, right, well that is in the docs!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-use-apache-as-a-load-balancer-for-confluence-data-center-970602623.html

You can skip the web-sockets bit for Jira

Thank you, I saw that and we have configured that way for Confluence. 

The configuration example that I am asking for, is for Jira datacenter

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2021

It is pretty much the same, you can dump the synchrony parts out and change the urls.

OK, we already have apache configured to work with Jira Datacenter, what I am asking here is for help on traffic shapping. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events