Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load balance options for Jira Software Data Center

Sanil Panicker October 11, 2018

We have self hosted Jira Software Data Center license and on version 7.12.1.

Our Server set up is Linux based OS with 2 App Servers (Virtual Servers) with Load Balancer and Oracle Db. Currently we are using only single App Server. 

Our requirement is to set up server such that both the servers are active and open for traffic and Load balancer routes the user request to either of the server depending on the load.

What can be the best approach to set up the application? 

1 answer

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2018

@Sanil Panicker, you should have the ability to which web servers you send traffic too within your load balancer.  Not sure what you are using but its there.  Assuming you have datacenter installed and configured correctly, it should just work.  Make sure you configure sticky sessions on your load balancer too.

Sanil Panicker October 11, 2018

Thanks for the response Peter, can you please let me know the steps to follow for configuring the Load Balancer? also since these are 2 different server IPs, can you please let me know how to set up the Data folder and attachments? 

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2018

Hey Sanil,

We can't provide help on setting up your load balancer without knowing what load balancer you're using (ELB, nginx+, HA Proxy, etc). Some general guidelines are at Jira Data Center Load Balancer examples and Load balancer configuration options.

The home directory for Data Center installations is split up a bit. In Jira Software, it's all one directory. In Data Center, there's a local cache on each node and then a shared NFS location for the attachments and plugins. Details on that are available starting at Step 2 on the Installing Jira Data Center document.

Finally, I'd recommend reaching out to a solution partner if you'd like some hands-on assistance setting up multiple nodes in your Data Center instance. Getting this right the first time can be tricky if you're not familiar with the individual pieces and it sounds like you're already using it in production. We're happy to help on Community, but if uptime is a concern I'd recommend having someone help out in your actual environment to keep things stable while you scale out.

Cheers,
Daniel

JAMBHULKAR_SUYOG_SATYANAND_EXT February 14, 2024

Hi @Daniel Eads @Peter DeWitt 

which steps to follow for configuring the Load Balancer if someone is using Apache as load balancer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events