Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to install a complete DC Jira for FREE to learn ?

Houssein Barkallah March 11, 2023

Hello peers

I'm trying to learn how to learn how to install and play with a Free version of Jira Data Center/server .

Is that possible ? 

3 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Runge March 11, 2023

Sure. You can get a 30 days evaluation license and install it in you favorite environment like linux or windows. Here you get the license and download for data center: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download/data-center

Server is not anymore available but you can use data center in a single node setup.

Houssein Barkallah March 11, 2023

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

I'm kind of okay from the Atlassian side, what do I need to keep it free from the Data center side?

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2023

@Houssein Barkallah you install it on your computer, not on a data center. But if you have a data center, you can install it there as well.

Tanya L Christensen March 11, 2023

@Houssein Barkallah you can install the Data Center version of Jira on a single node/computer.  Use the information on this page: Running Jira Data Center on a single node 

I don't advise testing using Jira Server as Server support ends next January.  Not to mention the Data Center version has several additional features that are not available in the Server option.

Like Brian Hill likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2023

Data center installs are not free, and never will be.  @Tanya L Christensen is spot on, and you should trust them.

Like # people like this
Houssein Barkallah March 12, 2023

Although all Cloud services provide a free tier, they all request Credit cards to be able to create an account for testing, this is why i couldn't try this out

Tanya L Christensen March 12, 2023

Cloud is the most feature option and you can try all products for free and as long as you don't go over the user count for free you don't need to supply a card. I have a free cloud suit with no associated card.

If you're considering the Atlassian products I suggest you start with the cloud options.  You'll have a lot more options. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Konrad Garus March 11, 2023

Absolutely, you can install and play with it using an evaluation license. The license is good for 30 days, after this time you can get a new one.

0 votes
PNG Jira Lead March 12, 2023

I just saw this question pop into my inbox

I can see it's already been answered so I'll concur with what others have said:

Yes, and I'm doing it currently:

1. Downloaded the version of my choice from atlassian.com
    1. I'm constrained to a Windows laptop so it was the Windows .exe installer I downloaded
  2. Chose whether or not to use a database (I have two installations in two separate locations on the laptop's C: drive:  the first was the built-in 'H2' database; the 2nd install I downloaded and installed PostgreSQL (also free) and the 2nd install uses that.  For the 2nd install I just +1 to the port numbers (Jira out of the box uses port 8080 and another as a control port;  my 2nd install I just +1 to those numbers so 8081 and whatever the 2nd control port was)
  3. And that's it.  I now can have multiple installs running (H2 on 8080, PostgreSQL-Jira on 8081)

Because I'm a tinkerer, I chose to ignore the 'needs Windows-admin' and see what would happen.  Turns out it installed under my /Users/[personal] folder under a folder of my choosing, and does not install as a Windows service (so I start it using the tomcat startup that's also given as part of the install, rather than the more usual 'start as a service' starter/shutdown script.

As part of the install, it'll ask if you have a trial license or if it should phone home to get one.  I already have an Atlassian ID so I tell it to phone home, it logs me in, and goes gets a trial license.  I've tried it the other way too:  I went to my Atlassian ID and established a trial-license, then when Jira first starts up and it prompted me, I copied and pasted.  That worked fine.

I'm reliably informed (but I haven't tried it yet) that because we have a production license, we can also avail a 'developer license' which apparently (I haven't done it so I'm just repeating what I've been told) removes that trial-license limit:  it's essential a developer license in support of the work for a production-licensed instance (at least that's my take on it anyway, I may be wrong).

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events