Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to divert Rest api calls to a particular node?

Jonnada Kiran February 5, 2018

Hi I want o divert rest api calls from external applications to a particular node. We are using F5 load balancer. I wrote a irule for this. Can someone certify whether it is correct or not?

rule divertingtraffic{

when HTTP_REQUEST {

if { [HTTP::host] equals"jira.charter.com"} {

if { [HTTP::uri] contains "/rest"} {

{pool/Common/normal}
}

}

if { [HTTP::host] not equals"jira.charter.com"} {

if { [HTTP::uri] equals "/login.jsp"} {

{pool/Common/normal}
}

}

else{
{pool/common/external}

}

}
}

Note: Pool normal contains (JIRA node 1,2,3, 4)

Pool external contains (JIRA node 5)

reference : https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/traffic-distribution-with-atlassian-data-center-895912660.html

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2018

Hello @Jonnada Kiran,

It's been a while since I've written irules for F5 but it appears your logic for "/rest" sends it to nodes 1-4 when I'm guessing you want it to go to node 5.  If so, maybe this will work:

rule divertingtraffic{

when HTTP_REQUEST {

if { [HTTP::host] equals"jira.charter.com"} {

if { [HTTP::uri] contains "/rest"} {

{pool/Common/external}
}
}

else{
{pool/common/internal}
}

}

Please forgive the possible syntax errors.  Does this work as you desire?  If so, please remember to accept this answer if it does so others can benefit.

Cheers,
~~Larry Brock

Jonnada Kiran February 22, 2018

Thanks for the response. I wrote a new irule it works great now.

Tito_Valentin August 27, 2018

Hi @Jonnada Kiran - do you mind sharing your rule? I'm trying to work out a scenario where any external rest calls go to the rest server. However, if the rest call is from one of the nodes (1 and 2), I need it to stay in that node so that the session auth doesn't break.

For example, I have 3 nodes. 1 and 2 are just web nodes and the third is a rest node. If a user hits jira.domain.tld, the request goes to node 1 or node 2. If a user hits jira.domain.tld/rest/api/2/, the request goes to the rest node. 

Now, if a user is already in node 1 or node 2 and node 1 or node 2 needs to make a rest call, the call then goes out to the rest node and fails with a 401 "unauthorized" because the session is different between node1|2 and the restnode since I have sticky sessions. How can we ensure that rest api requests from node 1 and node 2 stay there instead of sending it out to the rest node to prevent sessions from breaking?

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2018

@Tito_Valentin- looks like your question has gone unanswered.  Might try re-asking as a new submission.  Unfortunately, I don't have an F5 I can play with so I won't be able to provide an answer. :-(

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events