cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were Data Center editions even talked about at Team '22

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2022

I wasn't able to attend Team '22 this year, and haven't had time to sort through the various presentations, etc.

Were there any announcements or content related to the Data Center or on prem products at all? Or was it all cloud cloud cloud?

Thanks

Andrew

4 comments

Comment

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2022

Hi Andrew

I was there.... and unless I missed it, there wasn't a single mention of "data center" in any of the keynotes or any of the Atlassian-led breakout sessions.

All the shiny new stuff is cloud-only.

They did have an "Enterprise Migration" booth where they showed the 2 options: cloud or dc. But I didn't get around to talking to them.

Other attendees (including partners) expressed similar concern over the lack of DC love.

At least one Altassian person I talked to at the ITSM booth said DC is not going away, but innovations are probably only coming to the cloud.

Like # people like this
Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2022

This answer is disapointing

We wanted to use JSM but could not start on the Cloud because there is no canadien data residency at this moment. I work for a financial cie and the data must stay in our country. So we had to go to a DC version. Atlassian keep saying that the DC version will of course have new developments but AFTER those new things appear in the Cloud. But never or only the long run ?? What a disapointing outcome.

Carmen

Like Karen Mixon likes this
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2022

Wish I could say I was surprised, but it's pretty clear that Atlassian is just using on-prem/DataCenter as a way to soak money from long time enterprise customers. With no low cost entry point, there is no path for on-prem to gain new customers, so its basically a dead product line. 

We can take solace in that at least with minimal feature development, its likely to be more stable and predictable then the cloud offering.

Like # people like this
Mel Policicchio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2022

Hi, @Andrew Laden glad to have you in our Data Center community. I'd like to share two resources from Team you may find helpful:

1. This downloadable asset offers a brief overview of how Atlassian is developing Data Center products to meet the unique needs of customers who must remain self-managed.
  2. This on-demand session of one of our demos from this year's event. The second half of the video addresses our Data Center products and how we plan to enable admins to modernize and continue to support their teams at scale.

I hope these help to answer some of your questions about Data Center. Thanks!

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2022

I think the statement "customers who must remain self-managed" says it all

Not customers who want to be self managed, or prefer to be self managed, but must remain self managed. Atlassian is positioning it as a product that is only there for people who have no other choice, and is pricing it as such.

I read the Datacenter brief overview. Nothing very exciting there. Performance improvements, Auditing improvements. Stability. Nothing that could really be called a new feature.

Compare the number of items on the cloud roadmap to the ones on the datacenter roadmap.

And that on demand session. 8 minutes of a 30 min presentation. And if that is the only content related to datacenter, then that is 8 minutes out of  2+ days of content.

What's even funnier? If you click the link under resources for that presentation for "Atlassian Data Center" It takes you to the cloud enterprise page.

Like Dave Thomas likes this
Huwen Arnone _Deiser_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
April 20, 2022

Hi @Andrew Laden, I think you would be interested in this recent thread

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events