Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assets JSM DC

Lucy Devine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2023

Hi! 
I'm a Product Manager in JSM DC. I would love to chat to anyone who uses Assets! 
I would like to know your experiences in general (what you like and don't like), but I am also particularly interested in these two areas: 

- Labels and label templates (QR codes) 

- Object Graph 

If you have experience in this area, please reach out via this post :) 

Thanks, 

Lucy 

6 comments

Comment

Tim Eddelbüttel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2023

Cross-Schema object graphs, means if a schema has references to others schemes the object graph should show them as well.

Like # people like this
Lucy Devine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2023

Thanks for this comment Tim :) Would you be open to a 30min user interview discussing Assets?

b_roemermann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 20, 2023

The Confluence Macro should be able to show attributes of Objects in another Schema. Right now this feature works only if everything is in the same Schema.

The Object Graph is cool but often doesn't work as intended. The Focus Switch to another Object is sometimes stubborn and needs several clicks until it works.

Thomas Stanek June 20, 2023

@b_roemermanngood point with conf macro.

Additional: The confluence macro should be useable without a JSM license, since the object information/attributes can be shown (read only) to users in the customer portal without having an agent license, but users of a linked confluence instance need a license if they want to see the information via macro.

Lucy Devine
Atlassian Team
June 20, 2023

Thanks for this @b_roemermann , great call outs on both Confluence Macro and Object Graph. Would you be open to a 30min user interview call about these topics and Assets in general? 

Thomas Stanek June 20, 2023

Hi,

we are using Assets in different scenarios. Classic IT asset management, vehicle management, facility management, company-wide information database (locations, hours, employees, etc.) and for equipment management of the employees.

Specially for equipment management and vehicle management, we would like to use the labels for generating handover protocols (the company rules requiring a paper based signed handover protocol) or object reports for sharing with other departments or external partners (for example: insurance, workshops,...). Since the label generator has no control flow (Show only linked objects with status...) or conditional logic in visualization (if there are more than one linked objects then for example generate a bullet point list / table / something like that) or access to the attributes of linked object types ({{linkedObjecttype.attributeXYZ}} (like smart values), we cannot use this features today, and it's frustrating for our JSM users because they have to do the work twice.

Best regards

Thomas

Like Arnab Ganguli likes this
Lucy Devine
Atlassian Team
June 20, 2023

Thanks for this well thought through comment @Thomas Stanek , I would be keen to discuss this with you in more detail. Would you be open to a 30min user interview call?

Thomas Stanek June 28, 2023

yes

Lucy Devine
Atlassian Team
July 2, 2023

Awesome! Thank you! 
Are you able to please answer the survey via this link and then choose a time slot that suits you?

Lucy Devine
Atlassian Team
June 25, 2023

Hi everyone! 

Just reaching out here again. I have loved the insights in the comment section. 

I would like to offer the opportunity to anyone interacting with this post to share their insights in a user interview. This would be a casual 30min conversation about your experience (there are no right or wrong answers). We would thank you with a $75USD gift card for your time. 

Please reach out via this post if you are interested! 
Thanks, 

Lucy 

Alex Gay June 29, 2023

Hi Lucy

We are using assets for our Agile way of working, so more in a JSW context.

We are managing 'value streams', the organigram from the organization, the applications (with components, environments, etc)  and the link between all of them in Assets.

It would be nice if Assets custom fields would be made available in Jira Plans / Advance Roadmaps.

If it is not possible, we need to consider to go (back)  to Nfeed / elements connect.

Thx in advance

Alex

Dave Quarrell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2024

Hi, a bit late to this but some feedback as I am in the process of becoming a heavy Assets user:

- The Label template UI is pretty poor, especially the 'WYSIWYG' interface - it's really fiddly to position elements accurately and it's easy to accidentally modify the wrong element or to get weird artefacts in the templates that can only be cleaned up by manually editing the source

- There should be an option to render nothing on a label if an attribute value is Null/empty - currently it prints the attribute name instead which is often not desirable

- I'd love it if the Object Graph 'tree' view could be configured to show the actual objects, rather than object types, at the next level down - currently you get a tree with branches 'Object Type A' and 'Object Type B' and you have to expand each of those to actually see the objects of each type, which makes the tree view less useful than it could be

- Please please please bring across Assets support in Automation for Jira as per the Cloud experience - the current Assets automation on DC is absolutely woeful, it's a huge blocker to our ability to fully exploit our Assets implementation

- Assets needs a more robust backup/restore solution that decouples it from the rest of Jira. Currently it's too easy to mess up an Assets schema and (as far as I can tell) have no realistic option to roll back other than restoring a backup of the whole of Jira, which has massive collateral impacts

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events