viewing a users nested groups in crowd admin console

We currently have Crowd 3.0.1 under evaluation. We are using nested groups to structure the roles/permissions to atlassian applications used by our organisation. One question I have as an admin using the admin console is that I don't seem to be able to easily view all the groups a user is a member of - If I look in the Groups tab of the "users management screen" I only seem to be able to see the direct groups a user is a member of, but not the groups that those groups are contained in. Whereas, under my profile or in the crowd user console it does list all the groups I belong to. Am I missing something obvious? It would definitely be useful for the admin to be able to view/manage all the groups a specific user belongs to, particularly because there is no way of clicking through from the groups displayed to the group(s) that contain it. Of course if I know the group I want to check a user belongs to I can use the group management page to see the nested members tab contains the user, but I definitely see a common use-case of wanting to see all the groups a user belongs to.  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote
Bruno Vincent Community Champion Jan 25, 2018

Hi @Martin Day

You're not missing anything. Same behaviour here, I must say I had never noticed this inconsistency.

Looks like there is already an open feature request for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-3794

thanks @Bruno Vincent - i somehow missed that feature request. I've upvoted it and your answer.

Bruno Vincent Community Champion Jan 25, 2018

@Martin Day

You're welcome. I've upvoted the feature request too. I've seen you also left a comment on the page, which is a good thing as it sometimes speeds up the implementation decision.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Feb 27, 2018 in Crowd

The Crowd team is looking for feedback on Server & Data Center customers' identity strategies!

Do you own more than one Server or Data Center product? Do you have challenges provisioning users across your Atlassian products? Are you spending a lot of time integrating each Atlassian product wit...

1,169 views 6 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you