delegate admin rights by directory in crowd

spearmint_man January 5, 2021

Our DataCentre is used like a SaaS, as such numerous teams interact with it, but each team is independant of the other. I had hoped a crowd directory could be administered by admins within that directory? Currently assigning admin privileges allows an admin to view all directories + all other config stuff. Can you give admin privileges only to the extent that they can add/delete users etc via crowd, but none of the other admin features? Can you suggest a way forward, otherwise admins for a team who would manage users etc could .........kill crowd accidentally.

Ive read that you can dellegate admin group privillages.

Should we sepeate users in a project by the use of directories, or should all departments using our SaaS DataCentre offering be in one directory but seperated by groups?

1 answer

1 vote
Daniel Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Hi there,

I definitely agree that granting admin rights to users who don't need/have sufficient knowledge can be dangerous.

Crowd Data Center has a feature called Group-level administration. This feature allows you to grant certain users/groups admin rights to other specific groups. This should be sufficient for you to give to certain admins to manage groups for their teams. You can read more about Group-level administration here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/group-level-administration-958762255.html

In terms of whether to split departments by directory or groups, it depends on your setup and where your users are coming from. I would suggest keeping things simple by sticking to just 1 directory if possible and utilising separate groups for different departments.

spearmint_man January 12, 2021

Thanks, yeah I was aware of group admin delegation. I had hoped there was a system admin and a general admin, but I guess not. Might have to investigate if an app could manage this. The delegation of rights through Jira for example is limited beyond the scope of a project. I wish you could delegate rights as required but sadly no. It makes a SaaS implementation... Tricky. Rightly or wrongly we are going down the route of a directory for each organisation. 

Daniel Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2021

Fair enough. Atlassian has made significant inroads with Extended Project Administration rights to allow Project Admins more control over their Jira projects.

However, I agree there's still a lot of things that you want to delegate to admins but not everything that they might break the system accidentally. I'm sure there's more to come from Atlassian on this.

In my organisation we ended up creating our own admin console to grant different departments/organisations more admin rights to control their groups, projects, spaces etc via API. 

spearmint_man January 13, 2021

That's very cool, any chance it's open source lol.

Daniel Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2021

Unfortunately not at the moment :D

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events