Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow issue with Crowd

James Fehrmann May 13, 2019

We recently deployed Crowd to manage access to our various Atlassian applications.  We're having a workflow issue with our users.  Every time a user needs to change their password this happens:

1. user requests password reset.

2. helpdesk uses Crowd to generate reset email.

3. user resets password by following link.

4. user finds themselves at the Crowd login prompt.

5. user tries to login to Crowd and it fails.  They contact the helpdesk to say their password reset didn't work.

6.  helpdesk and user spend 15 frustrating minutes trying to figure out what's wrong.

7. helpdesk realizes the user is trying to log into Crowd instead of Confluence or Jira.

I understand what's happening - the user is trying to log into the wrong application, and they aren't authorized to use Crowd.  But this is creating a bad user experience.  And its happening on almost every password reset for any  non-technical user.  (Technical users still encounter the issue, but recognize they are at the Crowd login screen and are able to connect the dots.) 

Is there a fix for this?  It's very confusing for some of our users, and busting an otherwise successful rollout.   Am I just supposed to tell users, "here's your Crowd account, but you can't login to Crowd.  So reset your Crowd password, don't log into crowd, and do a 'u-turn' if you reach the crowd login page."

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2019

Hi @James Fehrmann 

That may sound like a silly question but why aren't your users authorized to log into Crowd's self-service console?

Thanks for responding.  I wasn't aware there was a self-service console.  And I can't seem to find any options to enable it.  Non-administrators just get an error message at login ("Incorrect username or password").   I googled around a bit, and it seems like it's just supposed to exist and users get directed to it automatically.  Not sure if this is a permissions/group membership issue, or a system config/install issue...

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2019

The self-service console ('My profile') is part of the Crowd application itself. You do not need to enable it, it is already there.

You just need to add your users directory to the list of the authorized directories for the Crowd application in Crowd's console itself and allow all users to authenticate (or maybe you want to allow only groups like jira-software-users, confluence-users).

If a user is a Crowd administrator, she/he will see all tabs (e.g. Applications, Directories, Users, Groups) when logging into Crowd. If a user is not an administrator, she/he will only see the 'My profile' page which allows her/him to change her/his password (Crowd administrators are defined in the Administrators tab of the Crowd application in Crowd's console).

Like James Fehrmann likes this

Fixed.  Applications > Crowd > Directories and Groups > Configure Authentication > Allow all users from this directory to authenticate.  It was set-up so that only users in the administrators group could log in.  

Thank you for the help that pushed me in the right direction. 

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2019

You're welcome, I'm glad it helped!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events