Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to configure directories in Crowd?

KMcKenzie August 6, 2013

We are running Crowd with Jira, Fisheye and Crucible in our company with about 500-1000 users.

What are the best practices in configuring Crowd directories to control authentication to each application? We are using a delegated authentication directory and will have many users needing access to all applications and many different groups.

Would it be best to create one Crowd directory containing all of the users/groups for each application ex.

• Company directory
    • jira-users
    • jira-administrators
    • jira-developers
    • fisheye-users
    • fisheye-administrators
    • fisheye-developers
    • crucible-users
    • crucible-administrators
    • crucible-developers

~OR

Create a separate Crowd directory for each application ex.

• Jira directory
    • jira-users
    • jira-administrators
    • jira-developers
  • Fisheye directory
    • fisheye-users
    • fisheye-administrators
    • fisheye-developers
  • Crucible directory
    • crucible-users
    • crucible-administrators
    • crucible-developers

Also we will be using SSO-- is this configurable with both options?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2013

I thik it really boils down to how users will use the various tools. If everyone will use everything and can see everything, I'd keep things simple and use the same group to control similar access on all tools. For example, create a "users" group, dump everyone in there and grant the "users" group permissions to log in and do basic functions on each application. If you have more distinction with your userbase, you might need to break things up as you suggest. I see companies that do this both ways. It just depends on your license and security situation. I'm in favor of not adding complexity for complexity's sake, personally.

0 votes
Shun Hirayanagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2013

If your situation permits, I recommendone Crowd directory as Dave mentioned. If you have multiple Crowd directories, you have to add a user who will use all of Jira, Fishehe and Crucible into each directory. It's a troublesome task.

You can also use multiple Crowd directories in order to use multiple directory types. For example, one direcory is LDAP Delegated Authentication and another is Crowd Internal Directory.

KMcKenzie August 7, 2013

Thanks Shun!

Will all of the groups within that directory show up in each application?

If so, does that count towards the license limit in the application?

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2013

Yes all groups will show up in each application.

But only the people who can actually log into your application count towards your license limit.

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events