Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Crowd with redundant LDAP servers

e November 13, 2013

Hi everybody,

in our company we have three LDAP-servers which point to one AD. This redundancy enables to use update/restart one of them, when the others are still online.

My question is now, do I encounter any problems when i configure three LDAP connectors in Atlassian Crowd which point to he same AD?

kind regards,

Andreas

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2013

Although it's not officially supported, I've seem cases where customers have two identical LDAP servers and a load balancer in front of them. In this scenario Crowd could be configured pointing to the IP of the load balancer, instead of the actual servers.

Cheers

0 votes
Tomasz Kontusz November 7, 2018

You can add multiple LDAP addresses for one directory:

In Crowd 2: "ldaps://1.1.1.1:636 ldaps://2.2.2.2:636"

In Crowd 3: "1.1.1.1:636 ldaps://2.2.2.2" (Crowd will just concatenate "ldaps://" + address + ":636").

Tomasz Kontusz May 14, 2020

In the end this solution broke too. Setting up a simple load balancer, as in the accepted answer, works well.

0 votes
Mike Monette April 28, 2014

...But why? Why do you guys put yourself into this position? It can be done......so......easily. Why not support it?

Using things like ucarp/relayd/carp/pacemaker and point crowd at the virtual shared IP works just fine...So why not allow us to enter 2 ldap servers in crowd to be used for redundancy? I don't get it.

0 votes
BernardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2013

Basically you can create several different LDAP directories but not for redundancy purposes.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2013

Connecting to replicated/redundant LDAP servers is not something which is is supported - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/User+Management+Limitations+and+Recommendations (that article is for JIRA and I guess it is the same for Crowd as JIRA has embedded crowd inside it)

Also - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-422

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events