cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login to Crowd after migrating to new server

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

I'm setting up a mirror image for Crowd on a separate server for testing the upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.4.1. I've created a separate MySQL database and imported the data. Initially, I'm able to login using the authentication with the production server, but once I follow the instructions in the link below and modify the crowd.properties file on the test Crowd server and remove the IP address from the production Crowd for the test Crowd server, I can no longer login. when I look at the tables in my test Crowd db, I see my user account name in the listing but it just doesn't let me in. I don't even get anything in the catalina.out file saying it fails or that there was even a warning or error. it simply just doesn't work. Any ideas?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD023/Migrating+Crowd+between+Servers

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2012

Found that this was an issue with the version we were trying to upgrade to on that particular server. Whatever the cause was exactly I'm not sure, but I chose to upgrade to a different version and that seemed to "unlock" whatever was causing the problem.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2012

So this is logging in via the crowd web application you are refering to?

The Crowd web application (console) is actually a crowd client registered with the crowd server (i.e. under the Application tab)

If you look on your production server, Applications->Crowd->Remote Addresses you will probably find it has your production IP in there.

When you migrated crowd server (staging) is seeing you attempt to log in from another crowd console that it doesn't have the IP configured under that Remote Address.

So can you confirm that you indeed DID add the new server's IP to the remote addresses on the production server BEFORE migrating the data. (Under the Preparation section in that link you posted)

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2012

Yes, I did add the new server's IP address to the remote addresses on the production server prior to migrating. The IP address was/is showing up on the new server's remote IP address listing after I did the migration and brought it up. But once I go back to the production system and remove the new server's IP address I can no longer log in with the same credentials that work on production.

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2012

Another thing to check, your new server's install isn't pointing at the production crowd's home directory is it? and therefore picking up the old crowd.properties file?

William Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2012

No, it is looking at it's own home location. They are very different locations just to ensure that doesn't happen. I recently did another installation and export to ensure that the steps were performed exactly as required and I'm still having the same problem.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events