Remote Crowd and Multiple Applications

Brian Clampet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2015

I have two Atlassian instances each with two JIRA and two Confluences Applications. 

I would like to connect each Atlassian's Crowd instance to each other as remote Crowds. Once I do this can I then assign access to specific JIRA or Confluence instances on the other Atlassian instance?

For example, Atlassian 1 has two Jiras (A & B). Atlassian 2 has two Jiras (C & D). If I successfully connect the Crowds via remote can I give access to Atlassian 1 Users to only JIRA A, B, D and Atlassian 2 Users to only A, C, D? 

Same question goes with other multiple applications connected to Crowd (i.e. Confluence, Stash, etc)

What would happen if one of these Atlassian instances was Atlassian Cloud?

Thanks smile

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2015

I would suggest that you nominate one of your Crowd instances as your master and manage all users/groups in that one instance rather than try a Master-Master pair. The second (and subsequent) Crowd servers are then just local copies and you can also use the same approach for an individual application without the requirement to have a local Crowd.

Once you have everything connected to the Master Crowd application you can determine which groups are global groups and which are specific to a location/application and adjust your individual application permissions accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Phill 

Brian Clampet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2015

Great, so it's possible to do so. Is there any documentation on the Master configuration? What about if one of the instances was Atlassian Cloud?

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2015

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events