Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Null Pointer Error when backing up Crowd

john scancella May 29, 2012

When I try to backup crowd to an xml file I get a null pointer error.

com.atlassian.crowd.migration.userMapper.addUserToXml (userMapper.java:87)

I have check the database and there doesn't seem to be any null users, so why am I getting a null pointer error?

3 answers

1 vote
JustinK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2012

The line in error is most likely:

userElement.addElement(USER_XML_CREDENTIAL).addText(user.getCredential().getCredential());

Meaning that a user has a null credential, yes the code could be better, and it is a lot better in later releases of Crowd. So I would check to see if a user has a credential that is null.

Justin,

There area bunch that are null. I have crowd set up to use LDAP as the authentication method. What should the credential be(I would guess "nopass" since that is what some of the others say)?

Would it be wrong to modify the null credentials in the database? Thanks for all the help

0 votes
Sorry, I am running version 2.1.1 It is currently being run on a intranet only computer. To get the entire stack trace I would have to type it all out manually, is there a specific part you want to look at that I could get? Thanks!
JustinK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2012

I am assuming that you are using a delegated LDAP directory, so all auth will happen against LDAP and not against the local database.

Putting no 'nopass' into the credential column would be fine, since it will never be used for auth and that column expects an encrypted value, so nothing will every evaluate to 'nopass'.

You have actually hit https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-2284 which was fixed in 2.2.1 of Crowd.

As with any database change, I would recommend taking a backup of the database before doing this change.

Cheers,

Justin

0 votes
JustinK
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2012

To help us verify the error could you let us know the version of Crowd you are using.

It would also help to have the complete stacktrace.

Cheers,

Justin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events