Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of crowd with error "Invalid login" with no bad password attempts.

Matt DeLaCruz March 2, 2018

In Crowd, I had just rearranged the order of directories by putting the delegated authentication (Active Directory) above internal crowd directory. 

I had created an admin user for the internal directory and the delegated auth so thought it couldn't create a problem. But when I tried to login with this admin it says: invalid login. Actually, it says that no matter which user I put in, and I've tried every one of them that appears in the table.

I attempted to reset the password using the queries listed for PostgreSQL and although the tables show the changes you'd expect from the queries, they never show any bad password attempts. 

I can't seem to find/or enable the correct logs. And I've checked out other threads like this one here: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Crowd-questions/Invalid-login-error/qaq-p/8953

and I'm not sure exactly what they are saying the solution was but I don't think it's the same thing. Maybe so. 

I haven't gotten to pointing Confluence and Service Desk to Crowd yet. I can still get into those. Should I/Can I just blow this install away and start again? Please advise. Thanks! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2018

Before you start over, please consider disabling the delegated directory via the database and then logging in with your internal admin. It sounds like the admin in the delegated directory may not be able to log in because of settings, like that directory is not mapped to the Crowd application, for example.

Note: Please back up the database before running any SQL against it.

To keep the queries simple, please get the directory id first:

select id, directory_type from cwd_directory;

From the results, identify the id for the delegated directory, and set it to inactive:

update cwd_directory set active = 'F' where id = 'Delegated_ID_FROM_OTHER_QUERY';

I found some docs that may come in handy as you set up Crowd:

Mapping a Directory to an Application

Effective memberships with multiple directories

Matt DeLaCruz March 5, 2018

I'm back in. You're a lifesaver! Thank you! 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2018

That's great news! Thanks for following up. :)

ss January 20, 2021

Hi, 

please if you can help me. 

I am facing the same issue with my crowd. 

I have postgresql and using crowd 3.1.3

both are running on virtualbox images. i recently moved to a different town and so wifi address changed. that is the only change happened. 

I changed the IP addresses in crowd.cfg.xml for the database. 

after that I started crowd. and it starts perfectly fine. no error in logs. so I am sure it is connecting to the database.

when I open crowd in my chrome browser. it gives me the login screen. but when I login with my admin id. it says "invalid login". my password is correct but still it does not allow me login. 

can you please help me. if will be great.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events