Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an FTP server with Crowd Authentication?

Stephen Hodgson April 4, 2019

Is anyone aware of a crowd-enabled FTP server?  A crowd-enabled web server where files can be hosted would also work. Atlassian used to have an Apache connector that would have worked fine for this, but it was abandoned several years ago.

I've been unable to come up with anything else so far.

It would be very nice to be able to use the existing crowd user base for FTP access for files that don't fit within Confluence's limits.

1 answer

0 votes
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2019

Hi @Stephen Hodgson 

I am not aware of any FTP server natively supporting Crowd user management and authentication. However FTP servers (e.g. ProFTPD) and web servers (e.g. Apache) usually support LDAP authentication so if your Crowd users are actually LDAP users, you could use the same usernames and passwords. You would obviously lack Crowd SSO though.

Stephen Hodgson April 8, 2019

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, LDAP authentication by itself won't solve the problem in my case.  The strength of Crowd for me is that it combines a couple of separate LDAP sources as well as its own internal database for users not in either directory.  It is this combined list of users that I need to be able to use for file transfer access.

True SSO isn't critical, but authenticating against the same source is important so that users don't have yet another account to remember.

There was an old feature request to enable Crowd to act as an LDAP source (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-1872) that would probably also solve my issue, but it's been abandoned for quite a while.

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2019

I understand. This would obviously require some integration but you might want to consider a virtual LDAP directory solution such as MyVD.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events