Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use google groups to manage atlassian users (via crowd)?

Deleted user April 3, 2018

Hi,

We currently have a setup with crowd where we use Google as SSO provider. Hence we have user management via Google Admin in which we defined groups.

On the other side we have the Atlassian tools where crowd enables us to authenticate via Google SSO. So we got the authentication part under control, however we would like to avoid double user management in regards to authorization.

Scenario:

1. create user via Google Admin

2. add user to a specific group via Google Admin - let's say group 'development'

3. assign group 'development' in the Atlassian configuration to specific permissions

Crowd allows us to manage our users in one spot, however the authorization part seems to be a mess. Please let us know what the appropriate course would be (if it is possible).

Kind regards

1 answer

1 vote
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2018

Hi @[deleted]

My understanding is that you want to see your Google groups in Crowd, is that right?

There is a 3rd party plugin for that: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pl.craftware.crowd.ga-directory-connector/server/overview

Hope this helps.

Bruno

Deleted user April 4, 2018

Hi @Bruno Vincent

Thank you for the reply. However i do not only want to see those Google groups in Crowd, I want to be able to use those groups to assign permissions (for example; create project).

The idea behind this is to have one place for managing our users and groups --> Google.

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

Hi @[deleted]

With that 3rd party plugin, the Google groups (and users) will be synchronized from Google to Crowd and then from Crowd to your application (e.g. Jira, Confluence). So, yes, Google will be the unique place for managing users and groups. You will thus assign permissions to your Google users and groups (coming from Crowd) in your application's administration UI (e.g. Jira's administration UI).

Deleted user April 4, 2018

Hi @Bruno Vincent,

That does sound like the solution, i'll try it out and will provide my feedback in this post (for future reference ;-)).

Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events