Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up Crowd in AWS VPC (currently getting 'Unable to resolve this machine's hostname' error)?

Izumi Berat August 3, 2014

Hi,

My JIRA instance is hosted on a Linux AWS ec2 instance connected to a AWS RDS database in the VPC. I am trying to install Crowd on that same instance / database in the VPC.

I get this error when going through the installation wizard on the 'Default Administrator page'

------

NEW:

Even though the IP address is different (I am just re-using a screenshot I took on another EC2 instance), the Private IP in the red rectangle is the IP it is refering to in the error message above:

-----

Does anyone know how to get around this?

Thank you!

Izumi.

2 answers

0 votes
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2014

In addition to what Nic said, if ip-10-0-0-37 is meant to be your machine's hostname, check that your machine can correctly resolve it to 127.0.0.1 or as the ip which you intend it presents to the world.

Izumi Berat August 4, 2014

@Nic Broughand @Caspar Krieger- Thank you for helping out. I added a screenshot in the issue description. The IP address it is referring to is the Private IP address of the VPC the EC2 instance is part of. The Public IP address to access the instance is different. I guess that in the case of a VPC (Amazon Virtual Private Cloud), the initial IP address of the instance is the Private IP, on top of which get added the Public IP. If this is the case, this might be connected to a bug in crowd that doesn't allow to change IP addresses.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2014

That's not a valid IP address, or your computer is unable to find it in DNS. You've entered the string ip-10-0-0-37, did you mean to enter a proper address of 10.0.0.37, or do you really mean you've got a server called ip-10-0-0.37?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events