Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to migrate from Active Directory for Atlassian user managment

Douglas Fields October 7, 2014

Hi folks,

I currently have five Atlassian applications on my network - JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, Stash and FishEye/Crucible. Right now, all of them authenticate against JIRA for the users and groups, and JIRA authenticates against Active Directory (on Windows Server 2012). We have about 20 (current) users and 20 groups.

I would like to get rid of Active Directory from our network as the only thing it is doing is handling authentications for JIRA. (The two domain controllers are the only Windows servers on our network.) So, I'd like to move to Crowd instead. My question is twofold:

1. How can I migrate the users from AD to Crowd? If I have to recreate them from hand one by one, that's not a big deal - I will just take the time and do that. I'd like to migrate the passwords but again, if that can't be done, it's not a big deal.
  2. How can I then convert JIRA (and the other applications) to using Crowd without losing any of the user information? In other words, I don't want two "Doug" users just because I used to be "Doug" in "AD" and now I'm "Doug" in Crowd.

A supplementary question is, can Crowd handle user password management? In other words, can users go there to reset and change their password?

Thanks,

Doug

2 answers

1 vote
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2014

Hi Doug - you are on the right track of using Crowd as the Auth hub .. With the apps registered to it for user, group and authentication management. More than "migrate", I think of it as more "reconfiguring" AD to Crowd. Semantics. Once done, disabling the old configs to JIRA. You will also get SSO between the apps. smile

Its hard to give a fail proof answer without specifically seeing exactly what you have running / configd so far but what you want to do is pretty normal and the whole point of Crowd, so I refer you to the Crowd doc.

Btw - indeed there is a pw reset portal for users in Crowd but not typically used. Instead set up the SMTP configs on Crowd and users can reset pw thru email via the app login page. If configd right, once you reset the pw in one app, it will proliferate to the rest. 

Can likely do this all in a few hours when know how to do it; maybe a little longer if just learning. Sounds like a good weekend project for you smile 

info@appfusions.com if need help ... 

Douglas Fields October 15, 2014

Thanks for the input!

0 votes
Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2014

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events