Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowd wont autostart

tw January 20, 2019

Hello, i hope someone could help me. I was installing Atlassian Jira, confluence, and crowd as non root user to an Ubuntu 18.04 Laptop. When i do a cronjob @reboot jira and confluence starts fine. But crowd would not start with the cronjob. When the system is up and running, i can start crowd in terminal with  ./start_crowd.sh without any problems. The "HowTo" at Confluence Dokumentation did not work for me. When i start the script in Konsole i get the following:

wtobais@wtobais-LIFEBOOK-E458:~/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3$ ./start_crowd.sh
To run Crowd in the foreground, start the server with ./start_crowd.sh -fg
Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /home/wtobais/jdk1.8.0_191
Using CLASSPATH: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.

I am not sure whats wrong and i dont have any ideas....

Please help :)

2 answers

0 votes
tw January 20, 2019

i was trying to autostart crowd with the provided init.d Script. and a symlink in /etc/init.d.

when i restart the notebook jira and confluence is starting fine. I have no error message  from crowd but when i try to open http://localhost:8095/crowd/console/secure/console.action  i get an side unavailable message in Web Browser. so i have to start crowd manually.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2019

The message you have pasted here tells us that Crowd is starting up fine, after cleaning up after a Crowd session that was killed rather than shut down correctly.

If it's not starting on a command that is being run, could you show us the errors that you get from that command, rather than a successful start?

You should not really be running crowd with cron, it should be using systemd or init.d scripts (depending on which your prefer)

tw January 20, 2019

with the init.d script i get an unavailable message in WebBrowser, and when i try to start manualy the following in Terminal:

Tomcat appears to still be running with PID 3087. Start aborted.
If the following process is not a Tomcat process, remove the PID file and try again:
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
wtobais   3087  2836  0 13:28 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-afc-volume-monitor

is there maybe a problem with more instances with tomcat ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2019

What does the log file say the error is?

tw January 20, 2019

which logfile did you mean?? sry for the stupid question :D

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2019

Sorry, I should have said.  On my crowd machine, I have this:

/opt/crowd-data-3.1.1/logs# ls -l
total 688
-rw-r----- 1 charlie charlie 699183 Jan 20 15:00 atlassian-crowd.log

tw January 20, 2019

I am not sure you can take a look on the logfile:   https://cloudpaulokat.ddnss.de/nextcloud/s/xQdFPdyM2rSiaxe

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2019

That looks like it is running fine.  We need to see where it is failing to start.  Could you stop it, remove the log file (so we have a clean short one), and the pid file if that has stayed, and then use whatever startup script that is failing to see what it does

tw January 20, 2019

when i use init.d script for starting crowd, there are no log entrys at all.  Another Problem in this case is that confluence will not start too. when i dont use init.d for crowd confluence is starting up most of the time......

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2019

Can you log in as root, and run "/etc/init.d/crowd.sh start" (or whatever the script is called) - that should give you an error if Crowd is not starting.

tw January 20, 2019

when i start /etc/init.d/crowd.init.d as non root user the server came up. without any Problem.  And the same as root. but it will not autostart... im gonna cry

root@wtobais-LIFEBOOK-E458:/etc/init.d# ./crowd.init.d start
Starting Crowd:
Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat/temp
Using CLASSPATH: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /home/wtobais/atlassian/application-data/atlassian-crowd-3.3.3/apache-tomcat/work/catalina.pid
Tomcat started.
done.
wtobais@wtobais-LIFEBOOK-E458:/etc/init.d$ ./crowd.init.d start
Starting Crowd:
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.
done

are there any limitations about the evaluation license on jira, confluence or crowd ??

tw January 20, 2019

is there a possability that this Problem came from using the same container like described here :

Unable to Start JIRA when Running with Confluence or Crowd in the Same Application Server Container

i think im gonna give it a try....

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2019

Ok, great.  There's no limitations with the licence, the problem you have is something to do with the way your "auto start" is configured.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events