Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowd vs JIRA User Database

Jonathan Valliere May 7, 2019

I have a number of Atlassian products to help manage my work.  We're a small group of around 5 users and all of the licenses are limited to 10 users. The inconsistencies of all the logins is causing a problem and I would like to unify everything but I'm not sure if Crowd is required.

Since my licenses are all limited to 10 users, using JIRA as the User Database might be a problem since not all 5 of the regular users have access to everything else.  If I remember correctly using the JIRA User Database causes all users to occupy a license seat in all connected products.

I would like to login once and automatically login everywhere.

Does it make sense to use Crowd?  If so, what does the User migration look like?  I would have to deduplicate and replace all the Admins and somehow migrate all the current Users to Users in Crowd.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2019

Hi Jonathan,

Using Jira as your user directory for all your other tools does not mean that if a user only needs access to Bitbucket that they also have to have access to Jira. It is all controlled by the groups that a user belongs to and that have application access. I am using Jira as our user directory for about 500 users (looking into migrating to Crowd), and not all of the users that have access to Confluence for example have access to Jira.

Jonathan Valliere May 9, 2019

Does this also provide some kind of SSO or do you need Crowd for that?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2019

In order to get SSO you would need an app or Crowd. If you want to go the app route there are lots of options available on Marketplace.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events