Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowd timing out when querying Active Directory

Joe George November 8, 2011

I've set-up crowd to query my organization's AD server. Unfortunately, our users are in different OU's off of the root. When crowd is configured to search from the root, it time's out immediately. Increasing the LDAP connection time-out does not appear to have any affect. To work around this, I've had to create a different Directory for each high level OU. This causes our groups to appear multiple times.

Our Confluence instance currently authenticates against the AD (searching off of root) without issue.

How can I configure Crowd to properly query from the root and not time out.

2 answers

0 votes
Joe George November 9, 2011

Our AD is a read-only DC. Due to where on the network that Crowd and Confluence are installed, they cannot talk directly to the main AD servers.

0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2011

Will Crowd connect every time you try, or is it sometimes unable to?

We had similar issues with Crowd, and the reason turned out to be the fact that the AD was load balanced. Once I connected to the internal IP adress of one of the AD servers, everything went fine and searches was really fast.

I'm not sure, but I believe that the connector towards AD is different for Confluence and Crowd, so this might be the reason why Confluence works just fine while Crowd have issues.

If load balanced AD, try connecting directly towards one of the internal IP addresses and see if you can notice any change.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events