Crowd - resetting passwords for users in multiple directories

BillW September 19, 2017

Hi,

We have several Confluence and JIRA instances. Some are open to our customers and all of our employees. Some open to all of our employees. Some are restricted to only a small handful of our employees.

In Crowd, we have separate user directories (Customers, Employees, Restricted), with one Confluence app connected to Customers and Employees, another connected to just Employees, and another to just Restricted.

Obviously, the Restricted directory has some of the same users that are in the Employees directory.

I'm struggling which approach to use so that any user (employee or customer) can reset their password in a connected app, especially since there is an "overlap" of users between the Employees and Restricted directories.

Option 1 - Is it best to give each application read/write permission to the directories so that the user changes their password from the Crowd-connected app?

Option 2 - Or is it best to give each application read-only permission to the directories and give users "user access" to Crowd (per https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/granting-crowd-user-rights-to-a-user-152045076.html) so that they can go (only) to Crowd to change their password?  

I believe a deficiency of Option 2 is that Crowd only resets the password in the directory first connected to the "crowd" application in Crowd... so a user in multiple directories wouldn't be able to reset ALL of their passwords.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2017

Thanks for posting this question! I am tempted to move it to the Discussion section of the forum, as it is a great talking point.

To me it seems like a better experience for the user to change the password in the application where they use the password, rather than having to go to another URL altogether. So I like option 1.

BillW September 19, 2017

I tend to agree, but if the password is changed in Crowd, does it have to be via CrowdID to ensure that the user's password is updated in ALL directories in which they are a member?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events