Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowd firewall configuration RHEL 7.4

Bob B February 26, 2018

Hi,

I would like to know more about firewall configuration for crowd in RHEL 7.4. 

I have added the 8095 with firewall-cmd and semanage commands, but still can't access to crowd through web browser.

What could be wrong? How to check if crowd is running? 

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

Hi @Bob B

You should run a simple netstat to check whether port 8095 is actually listening

$ netstat -an | grep 8095

You should also check what you've got in <crowd.install.directory>/apache-tomcat/logs/catalina.out. When Crowd has successfully started, you should get the following INFO log message:

2018-02-26 09:46:40,077 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [com.atlassian.crowd.startup] Starting Crowd Server, Version: 3.1.2 (Build:#891 - 2018-01-19)

*********************************************************************************************
* You can now use the Crowd server by visiting http://localhost:8095/crowd
*********************************************************************************************

Did you reload the firewall service after you added the new rule?

$ sudo firewall-cmd --reload
Bob B February 26, 2018

Thanks.

netstat -an | grep 8095
tcp6 0 0 :::8095 :::* LISTEN

the log says x.x.x.8095/opeidserver

does it mean i've installed wrong server?

EDIT:

and x.x.x.8095/opeidserver still refused to connect ... Ihave Jira core server  installed on same computer and Jira core is working fine...

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2018

The OpenID server is bundled in the default Crowd installation package. The first server to be started is Crowd Server then OpenID server. So, it's just fine that you see that the OpenID server is started, it does not mean that the Crowd server is not. Check the catalina.out file, a few lines before the log about the OpenID server you should see the same info about the Crowd server.

On your Crowd server, do you get 8095/tcp in the results of the following command? 

$ sudo firewall-cmd --list-ports

On a remote Linux machine, what do you get with a simple TCP connection to your Crowd server?

$ nc -vz <CROWD_SERVER_IP> 8095 
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2018

BTW I've noticed that the output of your netstat command is "tcp6" which means IPv6. Are you really trying to connect to an IPv6 address? If your Crowd server FQDN was bound to an IPv4 address I think you would see "tcp" or "tcp46" as a result of the netstat command.

If you want to force Crowd to use IPv4, add the -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true option in apache-tomcat/bin/setenv.sh

JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx512m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true $JAVA_OPTS"
Bob B February 27, 2018

Thank you @Bruno Vincent. Turns out the port was disabled in network level... I had to change the default port to 80 (since i don't have network admin access) to make it run...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events