Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowd change "Forgot your password" to "Reset your password"

Jane D December 14, 2020

Hi there,

I'm using Crowd 4.2.2 for my organization.

Right now when I am accessing Crowd via crowd.base.url (http://localhost:<portno>/crowd/), I'm seeing the reset password link as "Forgot your password?" 

Is it possible to change this to "Reset your password?". If so, where can I do this? I've been looking in crowd-webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml to see if that leads me anywhere but I'm guessing this will be coded in one of the jars somewhere.

The reason why I'm asking is because for new users joining the organization, we give them access to Crowd via LDAP, but at this point we dont reset their password. Instead, we give them the crowd url so that they can reset their password themselves by inputting their user ID and email address. In this case, "Forgot your password?" doesnt really make sense because they dont have a password at this point, they just want to reset it. I know I'm being pedantic, but this caused some confusion in the past. By changing it to "Reset your password", to me it makes more sense without having to change the process too much.

If this is not easily possible, what other ways can I explore to achieve what I'm aiming for (apart from resetting the user password myself via my admin account using the portal or via restapi, and sending the password to the user - which I want to avoid).

Thanks!

J

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2020

Hi Jane,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Whilst not having a definite answer assuming you have a linux server you could use "grep" on shell to search for the string "Forgot your password"

# grep -ri "Forgot your password" *
(assuming the working directory when executing the command is the directory of crowd, NOT the root directory)

Basically this is not Atlassian-related but in general it works this way :) In case this is enclosed in a jar (what I cannot say for sure at the moment) then this would not apply.
In case you find the file where the sentence is stored please make sure to bring it in after a possible upgrade again - also there is always some possibility that a change like this is not future-proof and stops working some time in future.

Cheers,
Daniel

Jane D December 26, 2020

HI Daniel,

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I have tried grepping it but unfortunately no match except in jars and classes - so I guess there's no easy way to do this :( Oh well...thanks anyway for your hit :)

Jane

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2020

Ah okay, I see :) It's a pity.

You're welcome!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events