Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crowd cannot send test email because of socket read timeout error

Dai Zhang April 3, 2023

I configured Crowd outgoing mail with UI or JNDI method. However both didn't work.

The logs are listed below:

```

DEBUG: setDebug: JavaMail version 1.6.2 DEBUG: getProvider() returning javax.mail.Provider[TRANSPORT,smtp,com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport,Oracle] DEBUG SMTP: useEhlo true, useAuth true DEBUG SMTP: trying to connect to host "smtp.test.cn", port 587, isSSL false 220 n212-142-139 ESMTP ready DEBUG SMTP: connected to host "smtp.test.cn", port: 587 EHLO 75ef36adabd8 250-n212-142-139 250 STARTTLS DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "STARTTLS", arg "" STARTTLS 220 2.0.0 Start TLS EHLO 75ef36adabd8 250-n212-142-139 250 AUTH PLAIN LOGIN DEBUG SMTP: Found extension "AUTH", arg "PLAIN LOGIN" DEBUG SMTP: protocolConnect login, host=smtp.test.cn, user=crowd@test.tech, password= DEBUG SMTP: Attempt to authenticate using mechanisms: LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 NTLM XOAUTH2 DEBUG SMTP: Using mechanism LOGIN DEBUG SMTP: AUTH LOGIN command trace suppressed DEBUG SMTP: AUTH LOGIN succeeded DEBUG SMTP: use8bit false MAIL FROM:

250 2.0.0 Roger, accepting mail from RCPT TO:

250 2.0.0 I'll make sure gets this DEBUG SMTP: Verified Addresses DEBUG SMTP: mail@test.tech DATA 354 2.0.0 Go ahead. End your data with .

QUIT DEBUG SMTP: exception reading response, THROW:

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)

at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(SocketInputStream.java:115)

at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)

at java.base/java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:140)

```

according to the [suggestions online](https://stackoverflow.com/questions/71272796/javamail-sends-no-content-with-smtp-sends-quit-and-hangs), I switched the javamail to version 1.6.4 or 1.6.5 or downgraded it to 1.6.1. However, the mail still cannot be sent out.

How to fix it. Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Dai Zhang April 3, 2023

contacting the backend smtp service provider, and they said the connection broke when sending 6 bytes in DATA stage. The mail server side could only read out 6 bytes then wait until timeout.

Dai Zhang April 3, 2023

It seems the crowd application does not send the SMTP commands correctly. How to debug it and fix it.

Rinat Vafin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 29, 2023

Hello. Have you find solution for this issue? I'm getting same behavious on using gmail smtp (and some other public relays).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events