Crowd Install Not Working

I know I am probably doing something stupid or missing one small piece but I cannot put my finger on it . I am evaluating a number of Atlassian products for my company and to this point have had no issues. I have followed the instructions for installation in a Windows environment step for step. However, when I launch IE to the default URL for setup, I only get a page can't be displayed error.

I am trying to install on a 64-bit Windows 2008r2 server. Confluence, JIRA and a number of plugins for both are running without issue. I just can't seem to get Crowd running.

10 answers

1 accepted

After Atlassian support could not get it to work, I finally just installed on a different 32-bit Windows 2008 Std server.

0 votes

Any error in the logs?

There are no events logged. It is almost as if running start_crowd.bat is doing nothing. I have tried on a second server (32 bit) with no joy either.

What is the url you are trying?

http://localhost:8095/crowd. I have also tried explicitly entering the IP address of the server.

Is start_crowd.bat reporting the base directories and paths when you run it? What's in apache-tomcat/logs? Is the error a 404 or a failure to connect to that port?

It is a simple "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" error. The apache-tomcat/logs directory is empty and when I execute the batch file, nothing is reported.

0 votes

Maybe you are missing Java Home or soemthing. Open a command window, navigate to Crowd folder and execute the bat file from there. If there are any errors, you will see it on the window.

If java home was missing, the other apps wouldn't work. Must be something specific to Crowd.

What versions of the software are you running?

Also, just be aware you may not need Crowd, Jira can act as your user server

I think there's still an issue with Crowd on 64 bit platforms, the tomcat was compiled against a 32 bit versio. Applies if you have installed as a service

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Troubleshooting+Crowd+as+a+Windows+Service

0 votes

I am not sure about the latest versions on Windows but JIRA and Confluence used to come with packaged JRE. Hence no need of separate JAVA_HOME. Crowd needs it though.

Agree about JIRA as user directory but SSO won't be supported.

@jobin - very true!

@Boyce, what do you get when you open a command window (windos-R) and type

echo %JAVA_HOME%

I got pulled on another issue for a couple of days. Echo simply shows %JAVA_HOME% - not the variable value.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

259 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot