Crowd Home path as an Environment Variable on Windows 64-bit

Can anyone tell me how to set the Crowd Home path as an Enviornment Variable on Windows 64-bit? It is the actual var name that Crowd expects that is unknown. There doesn't seem to be docs to setup an Environment Variable for Windows, although a comment in the actual crowd-init.properties suggests it can be done as an alternative.

2 answers

1 accepted

The variable name is the same as on *nix systems, and the same as the variable in the tmp file: crowd.home

On my linux system, I was able to set this variable in the tomcat's bin/setenv.sh and have Crowd recognise it.

If you're running Tomcat as a service on Windows, you might find this StackOverflow question and answer useful.

By the way, you can also specify the crowd.home property as a servlet context parameter.

Finally, if you add the line
log4j.logger.com.atlassian.config=DEBUG
to the end of crowd-webapp/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties then you'll get some debug information in the log as Crowd tries to read the property from each location.

Thanks Caspar. I apologize for the time it has taken for me to revisit and test this out. I did get this working, but not as I expected.

So for Fisheye, you simply add as a System Environment Variable FISHEYE_INST with a path, just like JAVA_HOME. The comment in crowd-init.properties says that Crowd Home can be run as a system environment variable. So people, like me, are trying to use Crowd.Home as a system environment variable, and it isn't working. I tried CROWD_HOME too; didn't work.

The link to the Stack Overflow article is what helped me. I edited the registry and modified the Options key at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Apache Software Foundation\Procrun 2.0\Tomcat<X>\Parameters\Java (for 64-bit)

Dcrowd.home=C:\PROGRA~1\Atlassian\APPLIC~1\Crowd

My Crowd Home path is really C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\Crowd. The registry entry worked. Now when I upgrade Crowd by unzipping and replacing the files in the install folder, this is one less customization I will have to make.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

270 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot