Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure Atlassian Crowd Server error on test: Connection test failed. Response from the server:

bkalai November 6, 2018

com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: Forbidden (403) Encountered a "403 - Forbidden" error while loading this page. client.forbidden.exception Go to Jira home

log

Caused by: com.atlassian.crowd.exception.ApplicationPermissionException: Forbidden (403) Encountered a "403 - Forbidden" error while loading this page. client.forbidden.exception Go to Jira home

at com.atlassian.crowd.integration.rest.service.RestExecutor$MethodExecutor.throwError(RestExecutor.java:522)

at com.atlassian.crowd.integration.rest.service.RestExecutor$MethodExecutor.andReceive(RestExecutor.java:364)

at com.atlassian.crowd.integration.rest.service.RestCrowdClient.searchUsers(RestCrowdClient.java:513)

at com.atlassian.crowd.integration.rest.service.RestCrowdClient.testConnection(RestCrowdClient.java:503)

at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.RemoteCrowdDirectory.testConnection(RemoteCrowdDirectory.java:668)

at com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdDirectoryServiceImpl.testConnection(CrowdDirectoryServiceImpl.java:61)

... 358 more

2018-11-07 03:16:07,320 WARN [Caesium-1-4] [impl.schedule.caesium.JobRunnerWrapper] runJob Scheduled job LaasPerformanceLoggingJob#LaasPerformanceLoggingJob completed unsuccessfully with response JobRunnerResponse[runOutcome=ABORTED,message='LaaS performance logging is turned off']

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2018

Typically when you see the error message content of

Forbidden (403) Encountered a "403 - Forbidden" error while loading this page. client.forbidden.exception Go to Jira home

It's an indication that you are using Jira server somewhere in this integration and something is likely misconfigured between applications.  Since Jira Server can also be used as a user server, much like Crowd itself can, it makes it confusing as to what product you are actually using when you see this error.

What log did this error come from?

The package called 'com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.core.CrowdDirectoryServiceImpl.testConnection' would tend to indicate that you're actually looking at a Jira log, and you're trying to use the embedded form of crowd that Jira server includes.  If that is the case, I'd like to know more about what application your testing this user server integration from (a different Jira server, confluence, bitbucket, etc)?

The error indicates that whatever application this error came from, that application is getting an HTTP error code 403 forbidden when trying to connect to the address in question.  Can you share with us some more details about the addresses being used here?  IP address/hostnames for example, as well as whether each site is using http vs https, and are there any reverse proxies between these applications and the address being used to host their content?

bkalai November 7, 2018

I'm trying to have confluence to use Jira for user authentication. I created the application link between Jira and Confluence. In Jira I created a Jira user server, added the service name, password and added the FQDN ti the list of IPs. On the confluence side Im trying to add user directory that will point to Jira. i added the URL of the server and the password(the one i used in Jira). When I try to test the connection I get the 403 error.

Thanks

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2018

Are Jira or Confluence using any kind of reverse proxy to different their http or https traffic?  These are commonly used for these applications.  Doing so can effect the ability of the applications to communicate with each other in setups like this. 

Additionally, if the URL you entered to access the Jira site is using SSL for example, then in cases like this Confluence's java trust store would need to contain the ssl certificate that Jira is using to host it's own site.  This scenario is detailed in Connecting to SSL services.

I don't know if this exactly applies here, but it's one possible cause for this error.  If that is completely unrelated, I would try to first go to Server hosting Confluence, and try to load the Jira site in a web browser (if that server has a gui interface).  Just to first try to understand if the system can make that connection successfully given your network settings or not. 

Another possible cause, if your network has an outbound proxy required to make http/s connections, then the guide in How to Configure Outbound HTTP and HTTPS Proxy for your Atlassian application explains steps you can take to make sure that the confluence application can connect/authenticate with the Jira address.

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2018

Hi Barak,

right now you're posting to the Atlassian Community which is a good place to get help regarding any topic from other users and have an exchange. But this is not the same as opening a support ticket with Atlassian. We're all trying to help but if you're facing serious issues with your applications I suggest talking to the Atlassian support. And maybe you provide some more information than just a snippet of your log file about the problems your facing :)

Best, Max

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events