Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we hide or provide domain name in place of IP address shown under trusted proxy servers in Crowd application?

Kamal Saini March 17, 2013

In crowd under Administration > Trusted proxy servers, we have added some of the IP address of the applications which are integrated with Crowd.

When our team work on security testing of Crowd application then testing reports an issue where Private IP addresses are getting diclosed on this URL. As it is a threat for comapny infrastructure because discovering the private addresses used within an organization can help an attacker in carrying out network-layer attacks aiming to penetrate the organization's internal infrastructure.

Can anyone please let me know if we have any other way to provide these machine names under "Trusted Proxy Servers" link? For an example : can we provide domain name there or any other solution?

Thanks,

Kamal

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2013

Hi Kamal,

I'm sorry to say that at the moment I believe the only option is to list te IP addresses of the proxies under the Trusted Proxies section as these are required for Crowd to correctly parse the header and understand that the packets have been forwarded by a known and trusted proxy. Unfortunately I don't believe it would be possible to change this without physically modifying the source code of the application to change how it handles the entire trusted proxies functionlaity and I'm not aware of any other workaround you could implement to mitigate against the IP addresses being exposed to people who have access to the Trusted Proxies section.

All the best,
John

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events