Can we add External user's personal email id, while creating his user account in AD or CROWD

Ravi Kumar June 9, 2017

Hi All,

We are using Microsoft AD (Active Directory) and CROWD, for user management for JIRA and other Atlassian products.

For External users

For external customers/contractors/employees,

1) They should have a temporary account in AD

2) When the AD account was Deactivated/Deleted, the external user should also go off from jira.

3) The Notification should sent to the External user's personal email instead of company id

How to achieve this ?

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2017

Happy to hear you are using so many of our products!

Here is my suggested answer to the questions:
2) When the AD account was Deactivated/Deleted, the external user should also go off from jira.

• Per Deleting or Deactivating a User: "For Microsoft Active Directory servers, LDAP Connector Directories and Delegated Authentication Directories will synchronize the status of users with the remote server, if the 'Synchronize User Details' option has been enabled. In other words, if a user account is disabled in Active Directory, it will be deactivated in Crowd on the next synchronization."
  • If it is deactivated in Crowd, that will propagate to JIRA

3) The Notification should sent to the External user's personal email instead of company id

• I am assuming you mean the final notification? If the email address is changed in LDAP to the personal address, it will sync over, so the notifications would go to the personal address. Otherwise, your mail admin can set a forwarder on the company mailbox, to send email to the personal address.

Ravi Kumar June 16, 2017

Hi Ann Worley,

Thanks for your reply on this.

Here below you can find my exact requirement :

Question : (1) Can we configure External user's personal email id while we creating a new user account for him in Active Directory (AD) ?

(2) If we can, how to do that ?

Detailed Description :-

The user is not our company employee, but he is an External Employee/Contractor.

Those external employee will need AD account to access Atlassian application (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket and Bamboo)

However, we will need external users personal email (Ex:- Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc) to be maintained in HR system for the following reason: 

(i) As Atlassian application is mean for information exchange and communication; and we consult legal that the external should use their own email address for communication.

(ii) The external would want to receive email send from application, send to their external email instead of our company email id.

Those application is synced with AD and email maintained in the AD will be the email, which user receive notification/email send from application. 

Thus, i would appreciate the external email could be maintained as primary email for specific external employees. 

Let me know if you need more information.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Ravi Kumar July 13, 2017

Hi Ann,

Could you brief me with the above query.

Regards,

Ravi

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2017

We won't be able to have a different email in Confluence and AD so the best solution I can think of is to have the email administrator set a forwarder on the corporate email box to send email to the external address. That way when Confluence sends the email to the AD address, it will reach the user at the external address.

I was once an email admin and forwarders were not hard to set up at that time, so hopefully they will be happy to help.

Ravi Kumar July 16, 2017

Hi Ann,

Thanks for your response. It was really helpful.

I will try to implement this provided solution.

I have one other query, could you please go through the below link :

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-discussions/Success-Criteria-for-JIRA-before-using-jira-amp-after-using-jira/m-p/608678#M576

Looking forward for your reply / suggestions on this.

Best Regards,

Ravi

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events