Can PAM authenticate with Crowd

I have a directory-based installation of Crowd which manages every component of my company, with the exception of ssh/remote login to our unix environments. It seems like an easy question, but I haven't found anyone with the answer - is there a way to have pam authenticate with crowd for remote user login.

A very similiar question (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/3088), but most resources are for an LDAP install, which I don't have and don't want to install/configure.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

Hi Trevor, 

There isn’t a native way to authenticate SSH against Crowd. 

However, you can create a custom connector to do it. In this link you can get more details. After you create it, I believe you will also need to create a Module to Pam. In this link and this you can find about it. 

Regards,

Renato Rudnicki

That's what I thought. Thank you!

I'm not super familiar with PAM, but you shouldn't have to create a Crowd custom directory. Crowd's REST API should be enough to let you check whether a user's username & password are correct, if you can make your PAM module make a call to it.

(You only need to write a custom Crowd directory if you want to change something like making users be fetched from some in-house database, etc)

Thanks, Caspar, that's a good point - I appreciate it.

Another easier way to authenticate your users against crowd would be you setup a LDAP. So, you can use the LDAP connector bundled on Crowd. I know maybe you won't use a LDAP, but also you will have a lot of work writing modules (lot of works = fun :) ). Good Luck Renato Rudnicki Atlassian Support

3 votes
Sam Caldwell Atlassian Team Jun 16, 2015

There is a solution: https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/crowd_pam/wiki/Home

Three of us (Sam Caldwell, @Brendan Shaklovitz, and Zach Boody) recently used this problem for Atlassian ShipIt 31.  What we built is a working PIP package (which we need to get up to PyPI soon) that will allow users to extend PAM to authenticate against Atlassian Crowd.

Right now this only supports user/pass authentication against Crowd, but we plan on adding SSH key support and additional meta data parameters for user accounts.

1 vote
Sam Caldwell Atlassian Team Mar 18, 2015

Trevor, I asked this question once back in 2008-2009 and there was no solution.  But this morning I found that Tom OConnor has done what seems a promising job of starting down that path:

https://github.com/tomoconnor/pam_python_crowd

I'm debating on spending a weekend or so testing this solution to see if it can be made production-ready.

Sam Caldwell Atlassian Team Mar 18, 2015

I have forked Tom O'Connor's git repo and made a couple enhancements to get this closer to production ready. There's still a bit to go, but here is my fork: https://github.com/x684867/pam_python_crowd/blob/master/lib/security/pam_crowd.py When I have a final solution, I'll send Tom a pull request. (Thanks, Tom for the start of a great solution)

That's fantastic, thanks for the hard work. Keep me/us posted, this work will surely come in very handy for myself and hopefully many others.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Feb 27, 2018 in Crowd

The Crowd team is looking for feedback on Server & Data Center customers' identity strategies!

Do you own more than one Server or Data Center product? Do you have challenges provisioning users across your Atlassian products? Are you spending a lot of time integrating each Atlassian product wit...

1,207 views 6 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you