Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Crowd try the next directory after failed authentication?

joe.chlimoun@l3harris.com March 13, 2019

This isn't so much about a failover directory, but rather if the same user exists in two directories, and the account happens to be disabled/locked in the first directory.  Normally crowd gets the rejection from the first directory and doesn't try to authenticate the user against the next directory.  Is there a way to configure it such that Crowd will attempt to authenticate the username/password against all configured directories?

In my case, I have two delegated authentication directories against two trusted domains.  Users have gone back and forth between the two domains over the years, and IT doesn't have much of an appetite to do some housecleaning.

1 answer

0 votes
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2019

Hi joe.chlimoun@l3harris.com 

As per Atlassian's documentation

If the user belongs to more than one directory, Crowd uses the first directory in which the user appears, as determined by the directory order.

What you get is thus Crowd's standard behaviour. I'm afraid there is no way to change it by configuration.

Joe Chlimoun March 18, 2019

What about handling it on the application side? Could I add a second application entry with the directory order reversed, then add a second crowd server to the application under the new application name?

ie, can Jira be configured to fail to the next directory if authentication fails?

Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2019

I'm afraid this won't work. As per Jira documentation:

The directory order is significant during the authentication of the user, in cases where the same user exists in multiple directories. When a user attempts to log in, the application will search the directories in the order specified, and will use the credentials (password) of the first occurrence of the user to validate the login attempt.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events