Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Crowd perform authentication for multiple instances of Confluence and JIRA?

BruceK June 10, 2014

I have a situation where I would like to run multiple instances of JIRA and Confluence and I'm wondering if Crowd is capable of handling this situation. More specifically if I have Confluence running on two different servers can I provide SSO to both Confluence instances and restrict some users to only one instance of confluence?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2014

Hi Bruce,

Yes you can. However as I remember the accumulated number of users would count towards to your Crowd license.

See this diagram. It might be usefull for you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/download/attachments/311920408/image2012-10-15%2012%3A37%3A15.png?version=1&modificationDate=1352499228403&api=v2

-Mirek

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2014

(Your link is broken Mirek)

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2014

(A few typos which I can't seem to correct via the editing functionality there, but you get the idea.)

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
June 10, 2014

To expand a little on Mirek's answer, you can also have separate sets of users who can be authenticated to each instance of Confluence and JIRA if you like (or they can share the same userbase).

Crowd handles this with the concept of potentially multiple directories (e.g. your corporate LDAP directory, a crowd internal directory, etc) which you can map to applications (1 instance of JIRA would have be 1 application in Crowd), and then for each directory mapped to an application you can choose which users can authenticate to each application by choosing groups for each directory (or allowing all users in that directory to authenticate with the application).

0 votes
BruceK June 11, 2014

One other question. Since only a URL is required in Crowd can the url target a Confluence instance that is OnDemand?

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2014

No, there's no way to configure Confluence in OnDemand to talk to your behind-the-firewall Crowd instance. In my opinion, it's unlikely we'll add that feature in the short-medium term, because most customers who run an instance of Crowd are relatively large and usually that goes hand in hand with not wanting their data in other companies' clouds (I am a Crowd developer, but this is my personal opinion).

0 votes
BruceK June 10, 2014

If you cut and paste it into the browser window it works

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
June 10, 2014

Fair enough!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events