xml export long term archive

Patrick_Vanhoof
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2015

Hi,

The XML export uses an Atlassian dialect of xml for the export (as far as I know, I'm not very technical with xml). I do not think this can be used for durable archivation of information from Confluence.

As far as I know it's meant to be used for back-up or export and import in another Confluence instance.

So my question: how do I archive information from Confluence in a durable way?

Thanks,

Patrick

2 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Simonoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2015

I agree with Nic.  One other option is PDF export.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2015

What do you mean by "durable"?  If you keep a copy of the xml backup, and can get a Confluence of the same version (or one that can read the xml from older versions), then you can restore your information any time.

Even if you couldn't get the Confluence running, the point of xml is that it partly explains its own content, so you can extract a lot of the information in it without Confluence.

If by "durable", you just mean "long term storage", then your best bet is to write the xml out onto paper - it can last tens of thousands of years, unlike magnetic or optical media.  wink

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2015

Also, they would probably want to keep the paper sealed in a vacuum in a dark location within a nuclear bunker.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events