Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is it that a new version of page is created after publishing without changing page content

belitex September 27, 2020

I clicked the 'Edit' button but did not change anything of a confluence page, then published it and found a new version in page history, which showed nothing diff when I compared with the last version.

I am wondering why confluence adds new version since there's no change. Does this affect performance of confluence?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2020

Confluence doesn't try to be clever when you make a change, it just accepts what you've posted as new.

This isn't quite as useless as you think - the information that you might have been thinking of editing a page and got as far as clicking edit tells us that there is current interest in the page.

As for performance, no significant effect, it's just one more version.

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2020

Hi @belitex 

This is to show when last the page was published and who published it as well.

If you need to know who last modified a page(publishing without modification should be tracked), this is one of the few ways to find this out.

belitex September 27, 2020

Thank you, Jimoh

I think you are right about tracking publish event even that without modification.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events