unable to load users to add in restricted pages

Payconiq SRE September 30, 2019

I am unable to add users to restricted pages. When i try adding users the names are not loading. We have recently upgraded confluence from 6.2.4 to 7.0.1 version. 

Screenshot 2019-09-30 at 15.04.08.png

Even have admin rights but unable to load users to add in restricted page. Could you please help me

Thanks in Advance!

Lakshmi A

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

Do the people you are trying to find have view access to the page according to the space permissions and view restrictions on the pages above it in the tree?

Payconiq SRE October 1, 2019

Yes, they have access. Would this be because of the upgrade?

Payconiq SRE October 1, 2019

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 14.55.21.pngConfluence-devops is my team who has all the access as you can see from the screenshot but unable to add them also. Example: 'Sam' whom i was trying to add in the first screenshot also belongs to confluence-devops.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

Ok, that's good, next test is to give Sam the url of the page you are trying to restrict - can they see that page?

Payconiq SRE October 2, 2019

Hi Nic,

Shared the url with Sam and when he clicks on it, he has an error messageScreenshot 2019-10-02 at 09.53.06.png

When he clicks on "Request Access", I received an email to review request, from there I can grant hims access.

But earlier we used to add people as mentioned in the problem statement. so could you please check that.

Thanks in Advance!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2019

Ok, that makes sense - you can't find Sam on the list because there's no point in selecting them until they have view access.  From the configuration of your space, I suspect this was a page restriction that cascaded down from above this page (you can't add view permissions at a lower level that override the ones from above)

Ok, In this case, now sam has view access to page.. despite am unable to search him. Would like to know what is use of "add" which doesn't pick up any name? or how does it load the people Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 14.52.43.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2019

You already have the only matching Sam in the list.

Sorry, I am not clear. You mean to say initially as the person was not added (don't have view access) he wasn't loaded and now as he is already added, the name is not being load. Are you trying to convey this?

If that's the case, what is the use of "Add" option that is available in the restricted page? Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 16.10.14.png

Could you please elaborate the behaviour of this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2019

Correct.  There is no point in listing a user who cannot see the page because of their access, and there's no point listing a user who is already listed.

I don't understand the rest of the question.

ok. We have an "Add" option to add users inside restricted page, what is the use of that option is my question

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2019

Ok, I know the restrictions can be a bit of a minefield, and I find it easier to work through an example.

Imagine we have a space which is set up so that only Alice, Bob and Charlie can use the space. 

One of them creates a page in it called "Home", then one under Home called "Away" and then a third one underneath that called "Overseas".  No restrictions on any of them yet.  Alice, Bob and Charlie can see and edit all three pages.

Now, Alice goes to "Away" and adds a restriction of "Viewing and editing restricted", and sets up only Alice to have that access.

Bob and Charlie can no longer see that page, nor any of its child pages.  The add button is there to allow them in.  In this case, when Alice uses "add", it will list them because the site says they can see the page.  But let us assume Alice does NOT add them.

When Alice goes to "Overseas", the add button is there to add people, but no-one will be listed, because Bob and Charlie cannot see the page.  Even when added in there, they will not see it because the view restriction on the page above says they cannot.  But the add button is still there because Alice may want to add people.

Does that help?  I know I am not good at explaining restrictions.

Payconiq SRE October 7, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , Thanks for the explanation. Our issue is resolved after content indexing 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events