Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tree mapping a complete Confluence site

Colm Maguire January 13, 2022

Is it possible to get a visual on all the pages through a tree map or any other way? 

How can I find every page that has ever been created ? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Short question, what is the reason behind this requirement? There probably is a different way to get there.

Technically, when you go to the space -> content tools -> reorder pages, that is where you can see the tree view. Also you could use a "page tree" macro in a space's home page - but there is a limit to it in terms of depth and it will not show you orphaned pages.

There is no global or site-wide tree view in Confluence, either. I think that theoretically you might be able to create a user macro with velocity, but this will not be a trivial task either. There was a similar discussion here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Confluence-User-Macro-needed-to-list-all-Space-Admins/qaq-p/981171 where you can see an example how to get all spaces, Darin Hofer added a comment there. Now I know the method used there is deprecated (getAllSpaces() - namely), so this could break in your future upgrades. My first idea was to use velocity to load the spaces, get the tree "somehow" from it, and print that somewhere on your temp page.

However, it absolutely will not be that simple to get page tree per space. Another problem is - this will probably crash your browser first, or crash your instance in the worse case. The amount of data you could be trying to fetch in one go, if your instance is large, this is not a good approach.

So what's left, well, plugins, or if you have scriptrunner, a groovy script might probably do it too.

In any case, this is just to add a comment that there is no such view natively, there is no easy way to get this.

Again though, this is not a very common request, if you could tell us the reason why you are looking for this data, there is very probably a better approach.

Colm Maguire January 17, 2022

Hi Thanks for that reply. The reason is to really get a grip on our wiki and bring in some governance. So the following would be applicable as to why we would want to see the complete tree. ( I take it , that it could be done space by space in a limited way) 

• fix broken links
  • Identify and then delete duplicate data
  • Reorder the information tree into a more strategically coherent tree. 
  • Collect information and move it to appropriate places within the company structure and take out from Confluence where necessary. 
  • Knowledge mapping and indexing the existing knowledge. 
  • Prioritise information. 

If not all pages, is it possible to find all spaces? 

Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2022

The 'Space permissions' is a pretty handy page (/admin/permissions/viewdefaultspacepermissions.action) imo as it should list all spaces in a non-paginated list with a hyperlink to them (or administration). This I believe also shows archived spaces, as far as I remember it lists everything apart from personal spaces.

Your tasklist doesn't quite seem like it could be automated in a good way though - a lot of human thinking it sounds like based on the reordering/prioritizations/moving and such.

I don't have personal experience with this plugin but it seems like it could help you in a lot of ways so you don't have to individually click through the entire Confluence site: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214087/space-admin-for-confluence?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

Tristan McCormick September 7, 2023

@Colm Maguire did you ever figure this out? Trying to PDF export a depth first traversal of a confluence space and coming up empty.

Colm Maguire October 27, 2023

What I did get was a macro to see the pages linked in a space that produced a very scary diagram because the space was very unkempt. But short answer. NOPE. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events