slack deep linking

Gani Budi Cahyono November 12, 2019

I want to open slack direct message using URL, like mentioned in https://api.slack.com/docs/deep-linking

When I add an url in edit page, it seems to be working. I can open the url and it directed to slack application.

But when I published the page, the URL is cleared to http://#.

Is there any way preventing the confluence clearing my URL?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2019

Hello there, @Gani Budi Cahyono ! Great to have you join our community. New faces are always welcome here.

Please allow me to cut this chase short and tell you that we can not use custom protocols within Confluence Cloud pages.

This has been posted as a Suggestion report but has been closed and is not available for Confluence:

Since Deep Linking requires the usage of a custom protocol, there is currently no feature that tackles that.

We can, however, work around it. Here is how:

1. Go to the desired message
  2. Click the Three dots menu (…)
  3. Select Copy Link
  4. Go to your Confluence page
  5. Enter Edit mode
  6. Insert the link into your page
  7. Publish the page

-START OF EDIT-

Looking at Slack's own documentation, it seems that they are actually vouching for a pretty similar workflow like the one described above. Here is an excerpt straight from their documents:

Whether you want to send users to a conversation directly after you receive an access token using OAuth or you simply want to link from your website or from within a message, send them to a URL like this:

https://slack.com/app_redirect?app=A1BES823B

Here is the origin of this excerpt:

This is most likely due to the fact that we can not guarantee that 100% of Slack users will have the Slack application installed. I, for one, do not use the application. I use it via the browser all the time.

-END OF EDIT-

Confluence will display and use that new link just fine now. The link we got from slack does not use a custom protocol, so it works within Confluence. When users click that link, they will be prompted to choose if they want to open that with the Slack application or continue by using the browser itself.

This is a little more cumbersome as it needs a few extra steps but does allow you to link directly to messages within Confluence.

I hope this shines some light into your situation, Gani! Looking forward to your reply.

Gani Budi Cahyono November 17, 2019

Hi, thank you for your reply.

It answered my question.

I'll try you suggestion

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2019

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, @Gani Budi Cahyono !

Good to know that this has helped you. Come share with the community in the future.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events