size of confluence instance

Victor Prasad July 16, 2015

Hello,

I am being asked how much data (web pages and attachments) is our instance of Confluence using.  Do need to look at the database (if so which one) or are files stored on the server?

I want to ignore all the system/install files.  How much content is has been generated.

Where and what should I be looking for?

Thanks,

V

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

It's not quite that simple, but we can get you an answer...

Confluence stores your data in one or two places, but it also generates ephemeral files, which you might need to think about.  So, you've got several things to consider:

• You've already said you're not interested in the installation
  • You should have a look at the Confluence "Home" directory, where you'll find a lot of the ephemeral files - logs, the index, temporary files etc.  I don't know if you need these, from your question
  • Your attachments are definitely content, but they might be stored in the database if you're on older versions.  If they are not, then they are in <confluence home>/attachments and you can literally just say "show me the size of that directory" to get their size.
  • Finally, the database.  All the content is in there, but it's not just the pages, it's all the config, history and the rest.  As for "if so, which database", that's simple - it's the database you've configured Confluence to use.
Victor Prasad July 17, 2015

Thanks!

We are looking a product and they are asking for the amount of data we have, for licensing.

I am going back to them as well.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2015

Size is irrelevant to licencing - all that matters is "number of users who can log in"

Hi Nick, we are looking at migration tool - they are asking us specifically how much Confluence content is to be moved. Thus my question. Confluence itself is licensed by users as you are stating! Thanks for the fast input! It's really helping me out today!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2015

Ah. Sad that you're leaving Confluence. Does give us another question though. Attachment size is not an issue, you've got that info now, but the question is what else are you migrating? I think it might be more useful for them to actually ask about the simple number of pages rather than data volume. And there's the history too. The most useful information here *might* be something like "we've got 7,500 pages, with 40,000 in total (i.e. 32,500 pages are historical versions of the 7,500 "

Actually we are not leaving Confluence, we are moving some spaces! You raise a good point. We may not want the versions. This is making my head hurt a bit. I will go back to the vendor. Thanks, Victor

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2015

Yay :-) Moving space data might be a bit easier to judge actually! You could try exporting the space to XML and see how big that is!

1 vote
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2015

Well, the files could be in the db depending upon your version and where you chose to store attachments to begin with. Recent versions will only do file system storage. You can figure this out by going to Confluence Admin -> Attachment Storage. If they are in the db then your size is just the size of the db. Otherwise, it is db size + "confluenceHome/attachments". You might also want to throw in the index size as well ... which would be "confluenceHome/index".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events