reapply license on a new system?

mike August 22, 2017

Hi,

We have a small 10 user licensed instance of confluence that I would like to "upgrade" to 6.x before applying it on our big 2000 users instance.

How will I handle the current license, if I also restore a back up of the big instance(db and app-data)?

Will there be some issues to apply the already applied 10 user license to the "new" test instance?

/ Mikael

Bonus assistence:

I am thinking something like this:

* systemctl stop confluence

* back up test db.

* restore prod db to test db. (runs locally on different servers, so no confusion -should- be possible)

* unpack new confluence.* point new confluence to restored app-data folder and test db.
* change base url* modify start script to point to new confluence.* start! =)

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

I understand you are restoring the backup of the Production instance's Confluence Home directory and database to a test instance to test a Production upgrade. If that is the case, you don't need to apply the 10 user license. When you start up Confluence the 2000 user license will be there from your backup.

If the 2000 user license is too old to allow you to upgrade, and you want to test the upgrade before buying a renewal, you may apply an evaluation license before you upgrade. Renewals and evaluation licenses are available at My Atlassian.

If the 2000 user license is not expired, and is a commercial license, you can also retrieve a developer license at My Atlassian: How to use developer licenses and to whom are they available?.

For the test upgrade, I recommend following: Restoring a Test Instance from Production first. Make sure the instance comes up ok for the old version, and do any license changes needed, then follow Upgrading Confluence Manually to upgrade the 2000 user version in the test environment.

If you do apply your 10 user starter license to the 2000 user instance an error will appear due to too many users for the license: What Happens When I Reach My License User Limit in Confluence?

mike August 25, 2017

Thanks for clearifying and wish me luck with the upgrade!

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2017

Good luck - if you run into obstacles, follow up questions are welcomed. :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events